Liberty diesel...when?

Not any more. The US now requires low sulfer fuel. The new engines are designed for the new fuel, but the older engines require an additive to restore the lubricity previously provided by the sulfer.

I have an '87 Ford 4x4 pickup/camper with the 6.9 Navistar diesel. It will tow my jeep at 65 mph all day long and still get 16-17 mpg (not bad for an 8,000 lb tow rig and 4,300 load), and diesel fuel costs less than regular octane gasoline. When it wears out, in another 250,000 miles, I'll get another diesel.

Robert Bills KG6LMV Orange County CA

Robert Bills

I certainly can't argue there. Very expensive when they need work.

Curt

Reply to
curt

Approximately 9/1/03 05:39, F. Robert Falbo uttered for posterity:

Better than what the driver would smell like if all that was available to burn was Castor Oil....

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Reply to
A.H. MacIntosh aka USERNAME

September 2004. Jim

88 Grand Wagoneer 89 Wrangler 00 Grand Cherokee
Reply to
Jim Boucher

I'll buy you an ear-trumpet for Christmas, you old curmudgeon :-)

[WHAT WAS THAT ? STRUMPET ?? ]

Dave Milne, Scotland '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara

: > : > "F. Robert Falbo" wrote: : > : > >

: > : > > I kind of like it. When a diesel is idling, you can hear every : > cylinder : > : fire - : > : > > very smooth, unlike most gasoline engines, which tend to wander back : > and : > : forth : > : > > because they have to be enriched to keep idling - diesels need no : idle : > : > > enrichment, so idle is very efficient, where gas engines are : > inefficient : > : at : > : > > idle. You can't expect twice the compression to sound quiet : (normally : > : > > aspirated diesels are about 22:1 or 23:1 compression, where : > Turbodiesels : > : are : > : > > about 21:1. : > : > >

: > : > > -- : > : > > -bob- : > : : > : : >

: >

: :

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Bring one round Lon, and I'll try it in a flash !

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Approximately 9/3/03 11:21, Dave Milne uttered for posterity:

I'm in Kalifornia, but if you offer some 25-30 year old local scottish breath of the gods, perhaps next time I am in the UK.... Seriously, the veedub dealers this side of the pond don't have any yet, was presuming that since your side has cleaner diesel standards perhaps it was available over there already.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

I think it is available, but I can't afford it - the VW makes $300 a bottle

30 year whisky look cheap :-)

Dave Milne, Scotland '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara

: : I'm in Kalifornia, but if you offer some 25-30 year old : local scottish breath of the gods, perhaps next time I : am in the UK.... Seriously, the veedub dealers this : side of the pond don't have any yet, was presuming that : since your side has cleaner diesel standards perhaps : it was available over there already.

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
mic canic