Re: Is this alternator finished?

Hey Everyone,

> My CJ8 is nearly finished, but i think my alternator is toast. Hooked all > the wires up, no juice anywhere past the alternator. The wire from the > selenoid is hot at the alternator end, but nothing comes off either lead where > the two-wire pigtail comes out the bottom. If i run a jumper wire from the > selenoid to the pigtal itself and bypass the alternator, everything seems to > work. Sound like something haywire inside the alternator? > > Thanks, > Don W > > '82 CJ8 Scrambler > AMC 360 > T/F 727 > Dana 300 > One-piece model 20 > 2" shackle lift/reversal > 2" lift springs of unknown origin > 33" Mickey's > >

Sounds like something's funky inside. Best thing to do is to take it to a NAPA or other store that can test it. Most of them will test for a few bucks. If you end up needing an alternator they will usually reimburse the cost of testing.

Chris

Don,

I had a similar problem on my 87 XJ. I finally said to heck with and bought a single-wire conversion kit from JC Whitney. It was $30 and works with the Delco/Remy bolt-together alternators, which I *think* you have on your 82 CJ8. Just one connection to the battery and I was set.

s0eebuch

Reply to
s0eebuch