Liberty Uphill Reverse "Chatter"

Hi. I'm a newbie to the group with a 2003 Jeep Liberty, 3.7, auto w/overdrive.

Has anyone experienced a severe "chatter" in the drive train while in reverse, going uphill, with a trailer. I tried to back my boat up the driveway this weekend and I thought the tranny was going to come apart. It felt and sounded like a maunal transmission in need of a new clutch.

The boat is well within towing specs. This is about a 20 foot section of driveway with an incline of about 4 to 1.

Reply to
Al Gilson

Did the trailer didn't have the overrun brakes engaged ?

Dave Milne, Scotland '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara

Reply to
Dave Milne

Did you notice any mangled childrens bicycles under the truck? Running over a bike your kid has left in the driveway sounds alot like that too.

Reply to
Johnathan Marrin

There are no brakes on the boat trailer. This trailer and boat weighs about

2,500 pounds fully loaded. The towing spec on the Jeep says it can tow up to 5,000 pounds as equipped.

So far, my dealer service people say that Chrysler believes that this vibration/shaking/pulsing event is a "normal" occurrance.

in article IP3Wa.1$ snipped-for-privacy@news-text.cableinet.net, Dave Milne at jeep@_nospam_milne.info wrote on 7/31/03 12:46 AM:

Reply to
Al Gilson

Normal?? No way!!

Tom

snip

Reply to
mabar

I get this when going in reverse in my yj. If i ride the clutch some my whole jeep will shake like crazy and the whole drivline will make a horible noise. The only thing I have found is that it may be the springs on the clutch plate not absorbing the initial momentum??? Something like that

Nick

Reply to
Nick N

I'm new to Jeeps. However I would lift your vehicle and inspect the drivetrain. You might also want to invest in a service manual and grease gun. Lube all the grease fittings before a tow job and check all the fluids below. Chrysler might not be that far off with their comment if you do not have issues without towing.

Reply to
Peter Parker

You have a broken trans mount, that is why your YJ shakes. The KJ could have a bad mount too, but because it is brand new, it is not likely to have a broken mount already.

Reply to
J Strickland