Liftgate wiper 96 XJ

I think my rear liftgate wiper motor is probably going bad, but before I spring for a new one I'd appreciate any input from wiser heads out there. The vehicle is a RHD '96 4.0 XJ and when I set the switch to "Wipe" the arm travels a few inches, stops for a few seconds, then starts again, eventually reaching the end of its arc, then returns in the same stop/start manner. This pattern is repeated until I turn the switch off, when the arm parks wherever it happens to be at the time. When I push the switch to "Wash / Wipe" it functions and parks completely normally.

Reply to
Mick Tilley

I had a rear wiper/washer (TJ hardtop) get erratic and finally fail completely. Not looking forward to replacing the motor I took it in for testing. It turned out an electrical connector had come loose. No parts and just minimum labor charge. Could also be the switch. Have it checked out by someone that has the ability and equipment to do a complete test.

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

I've taken the one on my 93 ZJ apart a couple of times. Basic cleaning seemed to return it to working status. Most of the time it's just crudded up contacts

Reply to
DougW