Headlights not working on XJ 87

Gents,

I have a 87 XJ 4.0, the four headlight wagoneer model. A few days ago I replaced my upper headlights with new H4 bulbs, same specs same brand.

After that when I used my lower "big" headlights, after a few minutes all the headlights completely died. I switched the handle on the steering columne to off and the normal lights would come up again.

But the third time I tried this, I noticed a burning smell in the interior. I left the big lights off. The next day the headlights would not function at all.

Now I have checked all the fuses and the bulbs, but there seems to be no fuse for the headlights on this model. I found a relay on the left front in the engine compartment, but changing this did not help.

I suspect the headlight switch to be bad, but all other functions of the switch seem to work fine.

Can anyone please tell me if there is a headlight relay and where it is, or might there be another fuse which I cannot find? Please help.

Rodger

Reply to
news.quicknet.nl

Grab a switch from the wrecker, if that doesn't solve it, it could be the high beam selector.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

There is no headlight relay that I know of, but you 'do' need one to run H4 bulbs or you 'will' fry the headlight switch.

The stock headlight switch can't even handle 2 H4 bulbs, let along 4 of them.

Once you replace the headlight switch and likely the wiring harness plug for it too, you should add a relay and just use the headlight switch for the relay trigger. Here is a good site on wiring in a relay:

Mike

"news.quicknet.nl" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain