diy info needed

I want to do a brake job and replace the alternator on a 90 Fox. Other than the Bentley manual, what do I need in the way of instructions? I've never done either of these before, only replaced sparkplugs, plug wires and dist cap and rotor. Also, what tools do I need to use? TIA Tom

Reply to
Frank Zappa

Bentley should suffice (although I use Haynes) and outlines the tools required. I've never worked on a Fox, but for the alternator I'm guessing a 13mm socket, an allen socket (don't remember size) and a wrench (or vice grips) to adjust the belt tension. For the brakes, you'll need a big C-clamp to compress the caliper cylinder and sockets as required. The caliper bolts may be seized so soak them with WD-40 and clean the heads before attempting to remove them.

Good Luck, Darryl.

Reply to
Darryl

Thanks. I'm nervous and delicate sometimes, esp when I think of having to walk to work. Tom

Reply to
Frank Zappa

Start early on the weekend to give yourself enough time incase you need to soak a bolt or tow and pump up the tires on your bicycle in case you need to make a run for a wrench or part.

:^]

jw milwaukee

Reply to
J999w

thanks. I can start Friday morning and don't need to be anywhere until Monday and I can make my nephew schlep me to the parts store. Tom

Reply to
Frank Zappa

FYI, the allen wrench size needed is 8 mm. replacing the alternator is an very easy job. I've never done brakes on a fox so i have no advice in that area.

as far as the alternator goes, it would be a a good idea to pick up an extra tensioner....(the weird bolt you turn to tension the alternator belt)...i've noticed that they seem to be made of soft metal and are a 'once and done' type fastener. they can be obtained at your trusty vw dealer for about 3 bucks or so. good luck andy

Reply to
Andy Gingrich