Loud whirring noise in rear diff

Got a 98 TJ, all stock. Lately, my rear differential has been making a loud whirring noise, and seems to be getting progressively louder. I changed the diff oil and it was real cruddy- silver/gray in appearance. Put in fresh diff oil but the sound is still there. What's really weird is it tends to get quieter when I make a right turn, and louder when making a left turn! Any ideas?

Reply to
gkucera

Is your right rear tire pressure low? If you have the trac loc limited slip, you might be burning out the clutch packs if one of your tires is low, and it might cause a noise like you describe.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Do you have the D44 in the rear? If so, my best guess would be that you have fried your limited slip.

Reply to
jbjeep

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Bingo, good one, Bill!

Reply to
SoK66

Reply to
gkucera

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
tim bur

Most likely this is the sound of the pinion bearing going south in a Dana

35, a most common affliction for that POS axle. The Dana 35 is so bad, I'm told anything made out of melted down scrap from a Dana 35 snaps under load & leaks oil.
Reply to
SoK66

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III