1998 Subaru Forester rear scraping noise

While making a right or left turn I get a scraping noise in the rear wheel area. I have had it to two garages and they don't know what it is. One garage said they had another customer with the same problem. I thought it might be the rear brakes so I changed the pads, checked wheel bearings for play, check CV joints for play, checked CV boots. There is grease in the differential. The body is not swaying in any way. Nothing hitting the tires or drive shafts.

The noise was much worse after the car set idle for two weeks. It then did it while driving straight and in turns. It cleared up after driving for 25 miles and returned a few days later.

This noise started out only doing it while making a right turn and now it does it both right and left turns. Naturally it wouldn't do it when I left it at the Subaru Dealer. This is a 7 month noise and it is getting worse.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Cowley

Wheel bearings?

Marc Sindell Twin City Subaru Sales Montpelier, Vermont

Reply to
marcus153

Marc,

Is that a common problem and complaint? If I take it back to the dealer again how much do you think it will run per wheel?

Reply to
TC

Tom-

Since you were searching for ideas, I threw that in from my long, storied experience with cars. I've only been selling them for 3 months.

Maybe something a mechanic could look for, in case no one had thought of it.

I remember a scraping noise that ended up being a wheel bearing problem. Sheridan, Wyoming, circa 1970....but that's a long story;>).

Reply to
marcus153

Just a wag but may be something with the emergency brake. The car is old enough that one or both sides could be worn out.

Reply to
johninKY