Popping noise in front end: '98 TJ

'98 TJ 6 cyl: I'm hearing a loud popping noise in the front end when the jeep suspension is torked, like when going up a drive way crooked, or making a tight turn causing the front end to sway away from the turn. Happens in both directions. Its not anything with the stearing gear box because at a stand still, when I turn the wheel in either direction I get no sound. Only happens, it seems, when the frame is twisted. Any ideas?

Reply to
GTK

It's not clunking on bumps? I'm about to drop my '97 off at the shop for annoying clunks on turns and bumps and I don't like the sounds it's making!

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

Reply to
RoyJ

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)Hughes III

Well, lookie who's back!

Mr. No-Testosterone hisself!

2wice in one month, yet.

Feeling braver with teranews?

Don't.

Butt do keep on keepin' on with your idiotic 'I'm somebody!' schtick.

It'z hilarious!

Buff

Reply to
Buffy Saint Marie Antoinette Funicello Biafra

Gee willikers lard ass. Managed to get sober enough twice in one week to post. I guess you'll be looking for another award now. Billieboi Mk III. The purveyor of nothingness award.

Will

Reply to
Williams Nemesis

bills braver than youll ever be girly man buffy h*mo

hard to get in the forces under dont ask dont tell when you call yourself buffy

Buffy Sa>>

Reply to
Jeep America #1

I had a similar issue but the culprit was my rubber on my front trackbar. But since you get no sound at a stand still movint the steering wheel it probably isnt it. Worth a shot, to just get under there and look. Grab a hold of the track bar and shake the crap out of it and see if you can produce the noise.

Reply to
ULB

Since this thread degenerated into another "mines bigger" contest.

Three things

1) track bar bushing This will pop as the vehicle moves side to side

2) sway bar mounts or bushing

Reply to
DougW

"DougW" wrote

1) track bar bushing This will pop as the vehicle moves side to side

**** It can cause a serious case of Death Wobble too!

K.

Reply to
Kate

very true. I replaced the bushing last time I replaced the steering stabilizer. It still looked ok, but for a few bucks it's cheap insurance.

Reply to
DougW

Probably the top joint in the swaybar links are worn. Have someone sway the jeep from side to side, while you look for play on the swaybar links.

Bill Spiliotopoulos, '06 TJ.

? "GTK" ?????? ??? ?????? news:2GCtl.14208$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews6.bellsouth.net...

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

They have no real skills apart from kookfu.

Reply to
DougW

"DougW" wrote They have no real skills apart from kookfu.

Reply to
Kate