Lowering YJ gas tank & sender adjustments

> Why not leave it up to your fav supplier and see if the gasket is actually

> > in stock. Depending on how much of a rush you're in, the gasket maker may > > be > > your tie breaker. > > How true! > > Thanks all! > > I don't have a TCM for it yet and needed to do something about it pretty > soon. Looks like I will be installing her Tuffy trunk this weekend instead. > > Time for a new thread about the tank...

While I have the tank lowered to install the Tuffy trunk, I thought I'd look into adjusting her sender. It stays on full tank for many many miles, and is empty just an RCH below a 1/4 tank. Correct me, but I'll need to bend the float UP a tad, right?

Reply to
Jeepers

---snip--snip--snip---

Staying on full tank for many many miles is a possible sign of the 15 gallon tank to 20 gallon tank "upgrade" having been done. (In reality they are the same tank, but a baffle prevented the "15 gallon" tank from being filled all the way.)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

To determine this, what do I look for? And, if so, can I correct the float?

Reply to
Jeepers

There is nothing to look for outside of the fuel tank. If you have the fifteen gallon sending unit, then your gauge will read full when there are (approximately) fifteen gallons in the tank, and it will accept five more gallons after that point. I am not familiar with the sender unit design, and I do not have my Jeep books at this location, so I do not know whether you can correct the float or not. If you want to replace the float, then I believe you have to buy the entire fuel pump assembly.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

But this would not explain why the gauge indicates "an RCG below 1/4" when it is empty.

The reason I am interested is I have the identical symptoms in a '98 TJ. When I bought the Jeep (used) I did not know of this interesting "feature" till I had run the tank dry. Now I just make sure to refill before the gauge indicates 1/4 tank. My worry is if someone else borrows it and I forget to warn them about it.

Then again, it may be a good theft recovery feature...

Cop calling me on phone: "Yes, sir. We have found your stolen Jeep. It was located on the side of highway 10, but it seems to have some kind of engine problem and will not start."

Me: "Ok, not to worry. I'm on my way with a gas can in hand!"

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
Jeepers

Bill's link is for a TJ. (He's old and (claims to be) dyslexic and gets confused easily) :-) If you're talking about a YJ (based on the subject line), you want to read this:

Yokomura has made quite a few mods on his YJ. His articles are alwaysinformative reading.

Reply to
TJim

Thanks TJ! The other article mentioned the YJ too, but the procedure was different.

Also, my wife's real problem (besides needing the Tuffy trunk installed) was that the guage reads 1/4 tank at empty. We found out this the hard way.

  1. Gonna lower the tank to install the Tuffy.
  2. Gonna do the 19.7 gallon tank expansion.
  3. Want to get a more accurate empty reading on the guage.
Reply to
Jeepers