crank sensor in CJ to 4.0

I have found a low mileage 98 4.0 to replace the 258 in my 81 CJ. I have read all about the crank position sensor from Hesco for about $300. Just wondering if anyone knows how to mount one on my stock 4 speed bellhousing. I am getting the 98 sensor and flywheel with the new engine. It would seem its just a matter of drilling a hole in the right spot and tapping it or welding on a bung. The question is what is the right spot.

I can also buy the 5 speed from the 98 but will it bolt to my transfer case? Then I have to figure out a hydraulic clutch. What if I just get the bellhousing?

Has anyone else done this and tried to be this cheap? Should I just give my money to Hesco? This is just an street truck but the 4.0 is about the same as a well rebuilt 258.

Reply to
<dartauto

Talk to the guys at Novak. On there web sight they talk about putting a CPS in a older bellhousing so it will work on the 4L

Later Scott

Reply to
Flamingford

Go here:

is a 4.0 swap forum.Lots of info. Also has other forums and infofor CJ owners.There are ways to avoid He$co and Novak.Good Luck

Reply to
csperlein