XJ air-conditioner leak on passenger floorboard

I'm getting a leak from the air-conditioner on the passenger side floorboard of my 1995 XJ... I understand that the solution is to pull the carpet back and drill a hole in a particular place... I haven't been able to find a diagram / photo of where it should be on the XJ though... Anyone have a more detailed description / illustration of the procedure?

Reply to
Grumman-581

Are you sure your vent tube isn't plugged? It will "run over" into the passenger compartment if it is. Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Since it looked like I was going to be needing to remove the trim pieces in order to remove the pull the carpet and underlayment back, I tried working on it from the other end (i.e. from underneath the vehicle)... There is a black rubber hose hanging loose and I poked a wire up inside of it... It seems that I'm getting some drainage now, but I'll need to wait until the carpet dries out before I can determine if that is a complete solution... I suspect that it would be better to be running the wire through it from the other end since the way that I did it, any gunk that was in the line just got pressed back up inside and it might eventually migrate back there... Of course, I burnt the shit out of underside of my right forearm on the exhaust while trying to do it... Damn, the exhaust is hot enough to singe hair... I figure that I would try this solution until someone posted the CORRECT way to do it...

Reply to
Grumman-581

Usually the gods consider a burnt arm as equal to a blood sacrifice but watch out, they may still want blood as well as burn!

Reply to
XS11E

Ah geese now you are making me feel almost guilty for taking my hard top and doors off today with a clean and cruise instead of posting the 'fix' to you earlier... Almost...

If you look inside up under the passenger side, you will see the drain line. It has an elbow there. You can drill a hole in the corner of the elbow to give access to ream it out then use something like a zirk fitting and a dab of RTV to plug it back up again.

Mike

Mike Romain

The "correct" way is to run the vehicle up on some ramps and then let the exhaust cool off. I hate to be a wet blanket but if there is enough gunk to clog up the drain hole then chances are pretty good that it is all over the evaporator fins too. Follow the instructions for removing the evaporator, but stop after it is exposed and then clean the inside of the box and the fins. You might get lucky and a leaf blew in there, but who is that lucky? If the gunk is built up on the inaccessible side then you have real problems.

Reply to
Earle Horton

The usual scraped knuckles managed to satisfy that portion of it...

As I pulled the carpet up, I noticed some extremely small insects under there... Kind of looked like ants, but a lot smaller than the fire ants that we normally have around here... Not a lot of them, but enough that I decided to investigate further... The padding under the carpet was soaked, so I decided that at the least, it was time to replace the carpet in my XJ... I cut it out on the passenger side and discovered a couple of small holes where it had rusted through... Probably about an inch in diameter... Worked my way back to the rear of the passenger side and found a larger section that had rusted out directly above the muffler... It was a complete hole, but it was flimsy enough that my cleaning it up made it look like Swiss cheese... Probably about 6" across and maybe 12" in length... Investigating further, it appears that when the stealership put the underbody rustproofing on the vehicle, they did missed the area above the muffler... The carpet removal on the driver's side showed no rust whatsoever... It looked brand new...

I've seen some of the guys with the CJs, YJs, and TJs who removed the carpet from their vehicles and then had the metal covered with the Rhino spray on liner... Anyone around here tried that with an XJ? Do you relocate the wires that go across the floorboard on the driver's side or do you just embed them in the polyurethane material?

Looks like it's going to be awhile before I'm driving my XJ again...

Reply to
Grumman-581

On my MJ - like an older XJ - the drain fitting comes through the firewall and the rubber hose pushes on the that to drain down by the frame. As luck would have it, the hose fell off and the air pressure at 75-80 mph was enough to push the water back where it dripped on the wife's feet. Needless to say, a fix was required...

It plugged up later that summer and my solution was to use a WaterPik to clean it out - push it up the tube, rotate the hose to get it to spray in all directions and keep spraying until the water is running freely out of the hole. You'll know when as it runs down your arm... Be sure to put a pan in the floor to catch the overflow inside. Did this 5-6 years back and have had no problem since. I did use a mild bleach solution in the WaterPik - about a tablespoon per quart - to take care of the odd mold.

Reply to
Will Honea