water on floorboard

hi - my van is a 1998 and has recently been pooling water on the driver's floorboard, very near the door. dealer wants $800 to tear apart the front end to find out why. if it is an "evaporator"(?), it will cost up to another $500 to fix. is this an appropriate action to take or is there an easier solution to the water draining in? we have noticed that there is very little puddling/water drips on the driveway after driving w/the a/c on (it's been about 103 avg here lately). thanks for all the help!!

Reply to
k1orca

Your air conditioner collects water from the air and has a drain tube to let the water run out of the car. It sounds to me as if this tube is most likely blocked. When this happens, the condensed water fills up the air conditioning duct and runs out on the floor inside the car. I'll bet that your dealer is eager to assign a mechanic to goof around under the dashboard for half a day before simply removing the clog from the line.

Here's how we fixed this problem on my sister's car, and it didn't cost any money at all. We found the drain under the hood and jammed a piece of flexible hose over it so that it made an airtight connection. Then we jammed a larger piece of hose over the end of that hose, and then a larger one over the end of that until the end of the series of hoses was the right size to cram onto the fitting at the end of the Shop Vac hose. When we got it all connected, we hit the switch and in about a quarter of a second about half a gallon of water and the clog that had been blocking it were inside the vacuum cleaner.

k1orca wrote:

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds