1995 Maxima: Exhaust System Questions

I have a 1995 Maxima with approximately 140,000 miles and is in great overall condition. The only non-routine maintaince done on it was a new
left & right front axel and a waterpump. My exhaust sytem is all original.
I recently looked under the car and noticed the following:
1) One of the lids (???) on the front muffler has come away from the muffler and is just riding on the exhaust pipe. It looks like it had been glued to the front muffler because the muffler has some sort of foam glue where the lid was. 2) sections of the metal/insulation that was on the exhaust system pipe have broken and fallen off. I assume that it was for heat and/or sound insulation. 3) A layer (???) of metal has corroded off of the rear muffler.
I had a Nissan dealership go over the car last week and they said my car was fine. I don't hear any exhaust problems so I assume for at least right now my exhaust system is ok.
My questions:
When I finally do need a new exhaust system, do I get it done at my Nissan dealership? If so, approximately how much will it cost? Will the replacent last as long as the original exhaust sysytem? In the past for my American cars, it seems I needed my exhaust systems replaced by my local muffler store (Midas, Monroe, etc.) every 2 years or so. Usually the muffler was fine but the exhaust pipes were corroded so I had to have the whole system replaced. If I get a Midas, Monroe (or similiar) exhaust system, should I expect to also have it replaced every 2 years? I've spoken to other 1995 Maxima owners, but none have had to replace their exhaust systems yet. Thanks in advance to any responses to my questions.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com
Hi, I have a 1996 Max and am also thinking of replacing the stock system due to heavy corrosion. Nothing has yet fallen off, but I'm sure that within the next few months, things will. The Midas, Monroe, etc, stuff will last about 2 years and then need to be replaced, regardless of the car they are installed onto. Even the replacement OEM stuff is not as good as the original hardware, but will cost about $1300 CDN. (The Midas stuff - cat back will cost about $700 CDN) I'm going to be purchasing a local (Montreal) aftermarket stainless steel pipes and muffler, which should last as long as the original equipment and costs about $700 CDN (don't remember the retailer, but name can be found on maxima.org). But its only due to me giving my son the car when he turns 16 as it runs well. Otherwise I would likely put on Midas or whatever and sell it, as I'm getting bored with it.

Maybe the above refers to the heat shield for the catalytic converter.
As far as the rest of it, my 95 SE was one of the first ones off the boat, almost 12 years old (purchased May 94). I replaced the entire exhaust system once (Nissan parts), and it is still good.
I thought about trying a performance exhaust system, but I had a straight pipe fabricated to use in place of the muffler for awhile (I left the resonator and cat in place). That sounded sporty, but made no difference in high speed autocross times, and droned at certain speeds. So I used the stock system.
I can't comment on how something from a corner muffler shop would work performance wise. But pipes that are fabricated and welded on the fly would likely rust out quicker.
Check out http://www.cattman.com/ for their exhausts. They're all stainless steel with a polished muffler. The sound is deep and throaty and not tinny and will cost you just a bit more than the Midas parts but you'll enjoy it a lot more.