My Jeep History (Long)

In 1976 I was in the market for a new vehicle had a re-enlistment bonus and the money was burning a hole in my pocket. I have always had a pick-up truck and some type of car for the wife well after looking for about a month I decided to buy a CJ7 with a 6 banger from a dealer in Glen Bernie MD and I had never owned anything but a V8 so I was a little apprehensive. Traded in the Ford PU and after all said and done I got the CJ for $3950.00 it was black with a black top all stock. I had the CJ for many years and did some modest modifications, 2 inch lift and 31"x 9.50x15 tires with in the first year. I had many good years of service always kept up on rust repair, general maintenance and just being anal about the CJ.

After over 20 years of faithful service I decided it was time to sell her and being in the military I got to take her all over and had lots of off road fun. She was in real good shape no rust second paint job and clutch that I did myself and only used about a quart of oil every 2000 miles. I had 255,000 miles on her when I decided I needed a pick-up in 1998. I sold her to a kid (late 20s) for $3500.00. I see him from time to time and he has kept her as I had left her. He told me that he pulled the entire drive train and had the engine, transmission, and transfer case remanufactured at a cost of $3600.00. He had a new complete paint job done costing him $1200.00 and he installed a new modern top doing away with the old snaps. It actually looked look it rolled right out of the show room hell even better. He told me that his dad always had a jeep and as a young kid had so much fun with his dad. His dad passed away when he was 16 and his mom had to sell the jeep and the house he grew up in because he did not have any life insurance. He went to college on a scholarship and is now a software engineer for Uncle Sam making big bucks. He told me that he bought a modest house with a 3 car garage where the CJ resides and had his mom move out of the apartment into the house. He told me that he wants to keep the CJ forever and that I gave him a chance to keep part of his child hood. It damn near brought a tear to my eye, at least she has a good home and from time to time he stops by when he sees me out in the yard.

Well earlier this year my and I wife decided to go out and treat ourselves for our birthdays. Since mine was first (February) I went right down to the local dealer and purchased a brand new 04 TJ Sahara 30"x 9.50x15" tires,

5-speed, (I have never owned and automatic) fully loaded with everything except for the Dyna 44 rear. My wife the next month went out and brought a 04 KJ Laredo with the 4.0 and automatic transmission with all the bells and whistles, disappointed because she did not buy the 4x4 she brought the 4x2 version. She said it is what she wanted and if the weather gets that bad she will just stay home. A couple of her friends also have the 4x2 version and they like it and said the same thing. We plan on keeping both jeeps for many years I dare say it will probably be my last purchase of a jeep. I do off road several times a year but no rock crawling I leave that to the other folks.

I did keep my 98 dodge ram 4x4 as my daily driver and I still need a pick-up. The wife kept her 94 Shadow SE as her daily drive she loves that little car as it was her very first car she bought on her own. Both of our new jeeps are garage kept and I take the TJ out most every weekend and some times during the week. I often think about my old CJ7 and all the fun I have had with her. I have fun with the TJ and it is a blast getting back into the saddle so to speak so I am looking forward to the fond memories that I will be having with the TJ never for getting my first I think it is that way for every ones first. Sorry if this is long but I guess I am on a nostalgia trip.

HaryS

Reply to
HarryS