My TJ Problems

I have a 1999 4.0 TJ i just bought it a month ago and i was wondering at what rpm should i be shifting at during normal driving? i dont have the owners manual so anything you can clue me in on that i might need to know would help alot

Reply to
im_a_dingo

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

could you actually tell me what rpm to shift at lol that would be nice thanks

Reply to
im_a_dingo

Shift it as though it were an automatic, maybe 2200 second, 2400 third,

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

thanks lol

Reply to
im_a_dingo

Does a little yellow arrow on your gauge cluster in the top right come on? My TJ has one and it's a "shift indicator" although I've been driving 5spd for years and find it annoying, it's helpful for new drivers.

p.s. is there any easy way to make that light stop turning on? I find it distracting at night.

Reply to
griffin

You could take out the bulb. On a YJ it is pretty easy to get at, I don't know how hard it would be on a TJ.

Reply to
nrs

No, no, that isn't a shift indicator, that is a this side up arrow isn't it? ;-)

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Does a little yellow arrow on your gauge cluster in the top right come on?
Reply to
Mike Romain

MIKE! YOU MADE A JOKE!!! Lol!

tw

Reply to
twaldron

I have always shifted at 2000 RPM. But when I am towing a trailer I shift at 2500 RPM. Hope this is of any help.

Reply to
Jamie Mello

lol!

Reply to
griffin

LOL God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

How does it determine when to turn that light on? I've seen it turn on as low as 1300 RPM, when shifting would lug the engine badly. AFAICT it is the "if I were an automatic transmission you would be fighting with me now" light.

Ivan

Reply to
Ivan Jager

Ours turns on at 30 mph in 4th gear so it 'must' just be pointing the way. :-)

I believe it relies on vacuum pressure from the way it acts but could be mistaken, if rpm were in there it wouldn't come on at 'fast idle' rpm speeds I wouldn't think.

Ours had a vacuum front axle disconnect too and we had to futz with the gas pedal sometimes to get it to turn off the 4x4 light and unlock.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

How about putting a small piece of electrical tape over the light. I use to see this all the time with the Check Engine lights in the older cars.

-- Old Crow "Yol Bolsun!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '95 YJ Rio Grande BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM

Reply to
Old Crow

Dunno, mine has never worked for which I am quite grateful !

Dave Milne, Scotland

Mike Roma> No, no, that isn't a shift indicator, that is a this side up arrow isn't > it? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Milne

Mine often comes on at 1300 RPM. But I never shift then I wait tell

2000 RPM If not towing or 2500 if I am towing a heavy trailer Before I shift again.

99 wrangler 2.5 lift 31 inch Good year MTR tires and a ton of lights Warn M8000 winch and more toys to come.

Reply to
Jamie Mello