need heavy duty brake rotors

Does anyone know where I can find some brake rotors for my 2001 Cherokee that will last more than two years? I've had this problem on every Cherokee I have owned. Maybe it's me, or hauling my 2500 lb boat around now and then has something to do with it.

A friend of mine put "racing rotors" on his car that were much thicker and could absorb more heat in a short period, thus staying cooler. They were also thick enough that you could turn them down more than once if you need to.

Anyone know where I can find some for my Cherokee?

Thanks in advance,

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
Klwasson

Klwasson did pass the time by typing:

Response sent in email.

Might try Kolak, I have been happy with the stillen rotors.

Reply to
DougW

The usual cause for warped rotors is tire jockeys improperly installing your tires.

They have to be hand torqued on or the rotors will warp.

These fools use an impact gun with a so called 'torque stick' and hammer the nuts on.

They then soak you for one un needed turning while still under warranty, then as soon as the warranty is up you get soaked for new rotors.

All the Jeep shops I have used, use the gun to seat the tire and a hand wrench to finish the tightening. If they don't , then they are purposely ripping you off.

Mike

Klwass>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Mike is quite correct. With Mfrs trying to queeze every penny of cost and ounce of weight out of their products, realtively heavy items like brake rotors have been marginalized for years, to the point now many of them are inadequate in evern the best of circumstances. Jeep SUVs have been notorious for this condition for years and DC has had several service actions to address the issue on YJ/TJ/XJ/WJ and ZJ. In all cases they insist the wheels be torqued evenly, but most shops just wail away with the impact wrench.

The best bet on a late Cherokee is to source iron rotors from NAPA or other aftermarket outfit, forget the factory units. However, be certain to ask for iron, not composite rotors. They may act confused over this, but if theh sell you composite rotors you'll have thumping brakes again in short order.

Reply to
Jerry McG