Need Help w/ AC problem

My 93 XJ's compressor won't cycle, it goes on but, does not shut off. I put about 40 psi of R34 ( it's converted). There is only black in the little eye hole. 75 deg. air blows out the vents. Do I need more freon or is this perhaps electrical. Any help here would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
SemperFi1110

The recommended way to fill R134a systems is by weight. Evacuate the system, and then fill to system capacity with refrigerant. This sounds easy until you start thinking about the equipment you need to do it properly. If you don't care too much about releasing greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, then you can get by with less equipment. I didn't say that though.

If you are sure that the system is near empty, then you can just put the recommended amount of refrigerant into it, and hope for the best. I have had this work, but it is not the best way. Many people who try this wind up putting too much refrigerant in.

If you are planning to fill with the gauge method (not recommended with R134a) you really need both high and low side gauges. The following is an excellent basic automotive air conditioning service manual. Buy this book; it is a big help. I have no connection with the seller, except for buying stuff from them now and again.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

First, it's R134a.

Second, you're over-charged. Using a sight-glass is not the correct way to charge an R134a system. Buy the gauges or take it to a professional.

Reply to
steelwhee

ditto on the weight thing.....

Reply to