Re: Am I getting ripped off?

I hauled my new steel `79 CJ-5 tub (off-frame), plus assorted fenders,

>hinges, hood, gate, grill and so on to the closest Maaco for paint.

Sorry to say, but what I've heard is Maaco is to auto paint what Aamco is to transmission repair. They even use the exact same letters in their name...spooky.

If I were you I'd go to a well-reputed body shop. It might be a little more $$$ but you'll probably get a better quality job.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Ayrt>

Maaco is a franchise. Results differ according to franchise owner. I was pleased with the paint job they did on my van in Bellevue, WA, but I can't vouch for other parts of the country.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

If I was getting a restored Mercedes Benz painted, I'd spend the extra cash. For my Jeep, I'd be happy with a Maaco. Hell, I had one of Earl Scheib's famous $29.95 paint jobs done to my '66 VW back in '69 and it actually turned out great, surprisingly so. The only negative was a few years later, I discovered that the painter had rolled his big fat thumbprint into the center of my roof while the paint was still wet. Maybe I didn't tip him well enough. ;)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Matt, I Maaco'd my CJ a few weeks ago here in San Diego. Great job FOR THE MONEY. That being said I'm pleased with the results. I offroad my CJ so I didn't want a multi thousand dollar job. Good thing about Maaco is they DO offer a guarantee and they honor it. I do however suggest you go with single stage paint VS, clearcoat if you are going to do any wheeling at all. With single stage repairs of scratches are easier whether they require repainting or just buffing out. Rich Harris, 1986 CJ7 now black (on the outside anyway until I duraline the interior)

Reply to
Richard Harris

I had a MAACO job done once here in El Paso. I could have done better with a roller. Course they vary from franchise to franchise. Look at some of their work out in their parking lot. I should have done that here because when I was picking up my van, there were people outside arguing with the manager over their crap jobs. Again, you get what you pay for. I think my van was about $400. It might be a good idea to do the prep work yourself - or most of it. That's the most important thing with any paint job, and they do skimp on that.

Reply to
Desert YJ

Reply to
Thomas W.