New gears and gas mileage

Got my new 5:13's in, have the first 500 miles on them. Got it all dialed in with a TruSpeed.

Mileage before: 10.6 mpg After: 12.46 Much MUCH better response, better shifiting and I can pass now without having to be on a downhill slope.

Reply to
Kate

Got the numbers a little backwards. B4 - 10.4 - 10.5 after: 10.64

Mileage before: 10.6 mpg After: 12.46 Much MUCH better response, better shifiting and I can pass now without having to be on a downhill slope.

Reply to
Kate

GAK! After 12.65 - WTF is WRONG with me today!?

Mileage before: 10.6 mpg After: 12.46 Much MUCH better response, better shifiting and I can pass now without having to be on a downhill slope.

Reply to
Kate

IMHO, you have to go about a week or two to three fillups to get a good mileage reading, unless you have some fancy newfangled electronic thing figuring it out for you. I'm glad for you, now you're only using twice as much gas as my Wrangler and barely four times as much as my Civic. Not even the hybrid model either. {:oþ

Reply to
Earle Horton

Thanks for the update Kate!

Can someone update me on strength on 4.56 and below. I thought the carrier or some other component was weaker as soon as you surpassed

4.56. I was really going to go with 4.56 until Kate said she went with 5.13 a few weeks ago (month maybe) and now is raving about "proper gearing", then I thumbed around on 4.88. Damnit Kate. You slay me! BTW, I have a D44 front and rear.

I can turn bolts and work on 70's and below, but a diff I won't want to tear into.

My waste of cash is here (dont't tell my wife!)

05 Rubicon Rubi Express 4.5" short arm with Curie CV shaft OME Nitro Shocks garvin wilderness front and rear wilderness bumpers Home fabricated 1/4" box steel welded steering skid box garvin rear basket above tire home welded gas can rack, very smiliar to garvins Left side above bumper warn xd9000i winch KC lites bumper light bar, with 3 KC 150 watt daylighters Hilift on rear bumper Kargo master Congo cage rack and safari basket up top above soft top 33x12.5 MT Baja's Procomp 15x8 rock crawler wheels (same as am racing without stripe) Brake buddy for towing behind my RV, this really works btw garvin tow adapter draw tite tow bar rapid hitch adjustable Still working on how to fab a rifle carry in jeep. There were some good suggestions in a previous thread.

Thanks a bunch.

Reply to
ULB

Thanks for the update Kate!

Can someone update me on strength on 4.56 and below. I thought the carrier or some other component was weaker as soon as you surpassed

4.56. I was really going to go with 4.56 until Kate said she went with 5.13 a few weeks ago (month maybe) and now is raving about "proper gearing", then I thumbed around on 4.88. Damnit Kate. You slay me! BTW, I have a D44 front and rear.

--- --- --- --- --- --- Gene Berg used to say that high numbered ratios were weaker because the pinion was smaller, More leverage equals more stress on components.

His main consideration was drag racing, where you get a lot more shock type loads than you get in normal use. If you are rock crawling or towing something big then you might want to get a bigger axle first.

Reply to
Earle Horton

You've got mail!

"ULB" wrote

Thanks for the update Kate!

Can someone update me on strength on 4.56 and below. I thought the carrier or some other component was weaker as soon as you surpassed

4.56. I was really going to go with 4.56 until Kate said she went with 5.13 a few weeks ago (month maybe) and now is raving about "proper gearing", then I thumbed around on 4.88. Damnit Kate. You slay me! BTW, I have a D44 front and rear.

*** me too!

I can turn bolts and work on 70's and below, but a diff I won't want to tear into.

My waste of cash is here (dont't tell my wife!)

05 Rubicon

*** good choice!

Rubi Express 4.5" short arm with Curie CV shaft OME Nitro Shocks garvin wilderness front and rear wilderness bumpers Home fabricated 1/4" box steel welded steering skid box garvin rear basket above tire home welded gas can rack, very smiliar to garvins Left side above bumper warn xd9000i winch KC lites bumper light bar, with 3 KC 150 watt daylighters Hilift on rear bumper Kargo master Congo cage rack and safari basket up top above soft top

33x12.5 MT Baja's Procomp 15x8 rock crawler wheels (same as am racing without stripe) Brake buddy for towing behind my RV, this really works btw garvin tow adapter draw tite tow bar rapid hitch adjustable Still working on how to fab a rifle carry in jeep. There were some good suggestions in a previous thread.

Thanks a bunch.

***DANG! and I thought *I* had an addiction! LOL What color is it? Mine is Stone White with black top and interior. Wanna see? I'll show you mine, if you show me yours :)
Reply to
Kate