7 Qts of oil in '05 4.7L

I don't get it. Truck is a 2005 fleet version SLT, 2WD, reg. cab w/4.7L V8. I purchased it a few months ago from Fastenal. Actually their leasing company GE fleet services. First time I had the oil changed the oil change place said it would take 7 qts of oil to fill it. I told them not to. The book says only 6. I then took it to a dealer. They said they must have miss counted because it was a quart low.

I took it back to the same place as before. Again they said it need 7. They're not using bulk oil in it. And we counted the bottles (Kendall GT-1 Synthetic Blend). I trust the people doing it. I've been getting my oil changed there for years. It needed 7 to fill to the full mark.

Does this thing have an oversized oil pan? The dealer I bought my Jeep Liberty from says NO. They also sell Dodge trucks. Any ideas? Ping: Mike S.

Ed Dowdy Fithian IL

Reply to
Edward L. Dowdy

Are you sure it's not a Hemi?

Reply to
Scott Hendryx

Pretty sure. The original sticker says 4.7L. The air filter cover says 4.7L. The build broadcast on it says 4.7L. It's a 4.7L.

Ed

Are you sure it's not a Hemi?

Reply to
Edward L. Dowdy

Ed:

The capacity of the 4.7L is 6qts w/filter.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Be sure it has the correct dipstick.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Are you factoring in the fact that a dry oil filter will suck up about a quart of oil?

Reply to
azwiley1

Reply to
Scott

Good point Al. Thanks.

Ed

Reply to
Edward L. Dowdy

I'm beginning to think like Al Mike. Do I have the correct dipstick? Is there a part number for that thing?

Ed

Reply to
Edward L. Dowdy

I bought a 2001 Dakota 4.7 brand new. I changed the oil at 1500 miles. I read the manual first to see what type and quanity. Book said 6 qts with filter. My dipstick showed it was over full. I called a few Dodge people and decided I had the wrong dipstick. They ordered 2 more that wasn't correct either. I finally just filed a notch at the full mark and the "add one quart" low mark.

So, good luck! :-)

Hank

Reply to
ninebal310

My '98 5.2L takes 5 qts oil. I've always put that much in it even with a filter change. Manual says so.

Same engine isn't it? Why the difference?

Also...

I replaced my 5.2L this year (only 150K miles) with a Jaspar, remanufactured engine about 10K miles ago.

While I notice a lot more power than my tired old engine, the gas mileage really has fallen off with the "new" engine.

Old, original 5.2 got a steady 16 mpg up to my max 17.8 if driving at 62-65 on the highway. The "new" one has barely gotten into the 14's (max 14.8 mpg so far) with

13 mpg fairly standard (never yet below 13 mpg).

Is it just expected that the remanufacturing process isn't going to produce as tight an engine as brand new?

Is there any hope that mileage might improve? After 10K miles now, I don't think it will ever get any better.

SMH

Reply to
Stephen Harding

When I got off work this morning I checked the oil before I started the truck. It was at least a quart overfull. It's going back this afternoon to have it drained. And to request a refund for the quart of oil I bought I didn't need. Thanks to all who responded!

Ed Dowdy Fithian IL

Reply to
Edward L. Dowdy

My 03 4.7 takes 6 qts. with filter change.

Reply to
Xclimation