New Jeep Owner

Hey, I am a new (used) Jeep owner. I have a 2000 TJ Sport, I have been out to the Uhwarrie National Forest on the OHV trails and having a great time. I would like to add some more clearance to get over larger ruts and rocks, is there something basic that I can do to add some height?

Reply to
lloydtk

Oh boy, a newbee!!! Welcome to the fun life of being a Jeep owner! There are literally countless options for getting that Jeep a little more... or a lot more clearance. If you are really wanting to get clearance, stay away from body lifts. These just lift the body, but not the frame of the Jeep. Not sure how much lift you are looking for, but you can add anywhere from a 1.5 inch to a 9 inch lift kit. Like I said, the options are truely endless. Check out the Jeep buildups at

They have taken a 1997 Wrangler and done three build ups. Stage one is has larger tires and a 2 inch lift, stage 2 is a 4 inch lift and 33 inch tires (overall, this would give about 5.5 inches more clearance), stage three is the big boy - 36 inch tires and a 6 inch lift. This is one of many (Rustys offroad,

4wheeldrive.com, etc) places to start learning about how to get that Jeep up.

have fun, stay safe!!

Reply to
bradley2u

In article , wrote: #On Jul 31, 6:20 pm, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net wrote: #> Hey, I am a new (used) Jeep owner. I have a 2000 TJ Sport, I have #> been out to the Uhwarrie National Forest on the OHV trails and having #> a great time. I would like to add some more clearance to get over #> larger ruts and rocks, is there something basic that I can do to add #> some height? # #Oh boy, a newbee!!! Welcome to the fun life of being a Jeep owner! #There are literally countless options for getting that Jeep a little #more... or a lot more clearance. If you are really wanting to get #clearance, stay away from body lifts. These just lift the body, but #not the frame of the Jeep. Not sure how much lift you are looking #for, but you can add anywhere from a 1.5 inch to a 9 inch lift kit. #Like I said, the options are truely endless. Check out the Jeep #buildups at

They have taken a 1997 Wrangler #and done three build ups. Stage one is has larger tires and a 2 inch #lift, stage 2 is a 4 inch lift and 33 inch tires (overall, this would #give about 5.5 inches more clearance), stage three is the big boy - 36 #inch tires and a 6 inch lift. This is one of many (Rustys offroad, #4wheeldrive.com, etc) places to start learning about how to get that #Jeep up. # #have fun, stay safe!!

I have the opposite point of view. A body lift will lift up just what you need to have lifted: The body away from the larger tires. It does not lift your engine or frame so your center of gravity is lower than if you did a suspension lift.

The only clearance you care about is the distance from the ground to your diff and axles. Anything else you should minimize to keep your center of gravity as low as possible.

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong

I'm in between the two opinions. The gas tank on a YJ/TJ tends to get hit every so often so a small suspension lift is good because it gets it up to a safer height. A small suspension lift plus a no more than one inch body lift would be a good compromise between clearance and center of gravity.

Reply to
nrs

Thats all fine as long as your tires remain on what ever you are trying to get over. I've been hung up many times on the skid plate between the tires. Suspension lift helped that problem by getting the tires farther away from the skid. No amount of body lift is going to help you out if you get hung up TDC.

Bigger tires can help but it isn't the end all of solutions.

Reply to
Raptor

SNIP

If this was true, all you'd need is a sawzall and 44" tires.

tw

Reply to
twaldron

Actually not a bad solution if you don't care how the jeep looks. :) This would give you about 16 inches under the diffs and around 17 to

18 under the skid plate and gas tank. More than you would get with a 4 inch lift and 33 inch tires.

Taking the comment to the extreme, if it were true then a body lowering kit and a sawzall would be the way to go! Get the body below the diff clearance height for the lowest possible center of gravity. LOL

Reply to
nrs