new Jeep owner with questions

Hi All,

I bought a used 98 Wrangler and have a few questions

1) what is the recommended RPM at idle

2) I have a knock coming from what sounds like under the body by the passenger frame rail by the exhaust pipe...I held the pipe while it was idling (and still cool!) anyone have any ideas why i am getting this knock or suggestions on what else to check?

3) Is there a primer on how and when to use the 4WD settings...my jeep did not come with a manual (anyone know where to get one online for free?)

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
mauricekennedy

Worn out cats will knock internally sometimes. Don't use your 4wd on anything but offroad, muddy, or snowy conditions. No pavement. _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 > Hi All,

Reply to
twaldron

In article , wrote: #Hi All, # #I bought a used 98 Wrangler and have a few questions # #1) what is the recommended RPM at idle Stick or Automatic? 2.5 or 4.0?

#3) Is there a primer on how and when to use the 4WD settings...my jeep #did not come with a manual (anyone know where to get one online for #free?) If it is paved, don't engage 4wd--even on flooded pavement. I have a streched tcase chain, and a bunch of other old wornout tcase parts sitting in my junk pile to prove it.

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong

I have a manual trans 2.5 engine

Reply to
bigmo

About 750 or so on the 6-cyl

Rear track bar bushing may be loose or worn. Front, middle, or back?

Only use 4wd on loose, slippery surfaces. Both 4wd settings lock the front and rear axles together so the tires must have some slippage or else the drivetrain will bind and parts eventually break.

4-Hi is the same as 2wd except you lock in the front axle. You can shift from 2wd to 4hi when moving or not, even at highway speeds. Keep in mind if conditions warrant using 4wd you should not be going at highway speeds anyway. 4-lo is Low Range, which will increase torque to the wheels, but decrease your ground speed. Good for tight trails where increase traction and control are needed. You can shift into 4-lo by firmly shifting straight through N on the trasnfer case lever. You should be able to shift into and out 4lo when stopped, and you can shift when moving slowly, like 1-2 mph.

Don't know about for free but you can probably find a manual on eBay.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Check the shock mounts.

Reply to