new tires..speeo off

97 wrangler, just put 31's (tires) on it. Speedo says 64 when actually going about 70 now. Tire guy said may make 1-2 mile per hour difference, but this is lots more! Any adjustment, or just get used to it?

thanks

cal

Reply to
Cal

You need a new gear on the speed sensor.

other sites.

Reply to
DougW

Generally Jeep speedometers get more accurate with larger tires.

How did you get your numbers?

Reply to
billy ray

got my numbers by my son following me in his wrangler, me in my GC. I know my speedo is about 1 mph off (in the GC) because of the radars that display speed on the side of the road used by our local police. We compared our speeds by cell phone. I know not the most accurate way to do this....

cal

Reply to
Cal

Several gears to choose from....how do you determine which one you need?

cal

Reply to
Cal

Got any reasonably lightly travelled highways in the area? Run at steady speed past 10 of the numbered markers along the highway using a stopwatch for timing. Poor man's VASCAR. GPS would work as well.

Cal proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Bill, Thanks for the chart link! Looking at the chart, what is R&P? I understand that the top grey line is the tire size (we used 31" tires.) But i don't know what the R&P (the numbers in gray from top to bottom of chart?) represents. thanks for your help!

cal

Reply to
Cal

R&P = Ring and Pinion gear ratio. This is the gear ratio for the differential. If you don't know what yours is, there should be a metal tag under a couple of the cover bolts on the differential cover plate.

Art

Cal wrote:

Reply to
Art

R & P means ring and pinion, which is referring to your gear ratio.

Chris

philthy

I would recommend you get a GPS or do a measured mile to see for sure. My Jeeps speedos became accurate with larger tires. Tests against a stock tire doesn't mean much for that reason.

Mike

Mike Romain

You need a new gear in your tcase.

Before you blow a gasket, the gear costs a few bucks, and you can put it in yourself.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Ring & Pinion.

I understand

You have 3.07s or 3.73s. Well, if you have a 4 cyl, you have 4.10s.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Say what?

He needs a small plastic gear that takes about 5 minutes to install.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Jeff, 31's put the Wrangler speedo right on usually. The smaller tires are the ones that are off. The next gear up will set the speedo for

33's from what I have seen. Someone put the next gear up in my CJ7 when they put 31's on and it was way off. Exact for 33's though.

Same for the Cherokee. The top size listed for mine is 225's. When I went to 235's, my speedo became right.

Mike

Mike Romain

Agreed.

I think the OP's testing method leaves alot to be desired. The only way to find the accuracy of a speedo is to find a measured mile, and run it at a fixed speed while using a stop watch, then doing the math -- 3600 (or multiples, depending on how many miles are involved) / time (in seconds) to travel the distance = speed.

Of course, a GPS makes this much easier, but most of us already have a stop watch and a calculator.

3600 / 45 = 80 3600 / 52 = 70 3600 / 60 = 60

My guess is that the pace car he is using is off, and the Jeep with the new tires is closer to being right.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I also agree. Putting 235s on my 2002 TJ put the speedo spot on. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes