2002 Ranger Tires

On a 2002 4WD ext cab 4L V6 Ranger XLT automatic, has anyone gone from the stock 245s to 265s when replacing tires, and if so what are the results and your opinions. TIA Mark S.

Reply to
mark schofield

Mark,

If memory serves I believe you will have a concern with the speedometer/odometer. When replacing the speedo assembly you must supply information including tire size.

Point is there is a possibility that speedo operation could be affected as well as transmission operation.

John

Reply to
PC PODD

I'm no expert but here goes.

Firstly, you will have a wider tire and with that comes the possibility of the inner edge rubbing, especially when making a sharp turn. My advice would be to get down and have a good look at what space is currently between the tire and the nearest frame or suspension component. Do this with someone holding the steering wheel tight in either direction. The 265s are 20mm wider which would be roughly 3/4".

Secondly, the tires will be slightly bigger in diameter which will, as others have said, result in a misreading on the speedometer. Since some 265 tires are 70 vs 75 aspect ratio, the difference in diameter would be a bit less. Off the top of my head, going to 256/75R16 from 245/75R16 will result in a tire that is 31.7" vs 30.5" in diameter or 4%. Going to a 265/70R16 tire will give you a tire that is 30.6" or essentially the same. Hence a wider tire with no speedometer error.

If you go to most tire manufacturer's web sites, they will give you actual diameters for different sizes of tires.

Glen

Reply to
Glen Smith

Reply to
mark schofield

Can't address auto tranny issues, but to give you an idea on speed difference, I went from the stock 235s on my F150 to 31-10.5s (similar to 265s according to my tire "guy"). Over the years I've used both mile markers and GPS to calculate the actual vs indicated speed to be right at 6%.

If tires are proportional between sizes, I'd guess you can count on a

3% difference. Of course, YMMV...

You could always just measure the diameter of the tires in question.

David Jones djonesLSidaho.com

Reply to
IdaSpode