"nutter" question

hey all - 87 YJ 258 - just did the ol "nutter" and i am bit confused as to one thing: do i need to now use the capped off idle mixture screws? they are curently still sitting in their little capped off holes and the jeep appears to be idling fine. there is a bit of surging going on when i am driving in gear at low rpms however... but then the air cleaner is pretty gummed up with oil (blow by?) and the CTO valve is broken off. those things have been true for quite awhile tho and this is a new issue. i'm going to take care of those things and check for vacuum and intake leaks tomorrow so i'll know soon enough. wondering about those little idle screws tho... also can i now remove the Sol-Vac? did a search on these questions but couldnt find the answer. Mike Romain... you still out there? cheers, bennett

Reply to
bobvonbob

well - apologies to mike - its the damn cannister... i checked the damn thing a few months ago and it was fine - now i pinch off the line to the carb and voila - major change in idle speed... will deal with this tomorrow i guess...

bobv> hey all - 87 YJ 258 - just did the ol "nutter" and i am bit confused as > to one thing:

Reply to
bobvonbob

well - apologies to mike - its the damn cannister... i checked the damn thing a few months ago and it was fine - now i pinch off the line to the carb and voila - major change in idle speed... will deal with this tomorrow i guess...

bobv> hey all - 87 YJ 258 - just did the ol "nutter" and i am bit confused as > to one thing:

Reply to
bobvonbob

Oooff two years ago I was right where you are now... With an 88 YJ. It starts getting expensive from where you are on out... For what it's worth here's my opinion: my YJ currently is entirely new from the Cam on up, ignition (TFI), Holley fuel injection, exhaust and header, new 4.0 head, lifters, timing set, hesco RVOB camshaft only the crank rods and pistons haven't been replaced. And needless to say all that vacuum crap is totally gone.

So having prefaced that with my experiences, do yourself a favor and Swap a 350 in it or get a 4.0, or get a 4.0 and stroke it with your

4.2's crank and rods.

The 4.2 is a TURD. Especially in the YJ's and late CJ's with early emissions systems. Even with mods and fuel injection it's a woefully underpowered motor if you've ever driven anything with 200hp or more.

The 4.6 stroker in my XJ might actually be quicker than my old 95 GT Mustang with 5.0 V8. (These were heavier than earlier GT's and the last couple years of the 5.0 weren't it's best) they put out right under 200 hp (rear wheel) about the same as my stroker, and the XJ weighs less and has taller 4.51 gears.

If you're just trying to keep your YJ running then good luck and sorry if I wasted your time, but if you're after more power and performance then punt as soon as you can :)

Reply to
Simon Juncal