Odd noise?

My recently purchased 88 Cherokee 4.0 automatic, 4x4 makes a chirping noise like a tree frog from the front that starts when I get to about 35 MPH. It does it in drive (OD) or in 3rd. It makes the noise as long as I have my foot on the gas. As soon as I let off it goes away. It's not loud, but I can hear it clearly when I drive. I have installed a new alternator, water pump and serpentine belt. The strange part is the fact that it goes away as soon as I let off the gas and starts back up the second that I press back down on the gas. I was thinking speedometer cable or something, but that would keep doing it all the time, wouldn't it? Would a wheel bearing or u-joint do this? Again, it's not a loud noise, but it is noticeable. Thanks in advance! Keith

Reply to
Keith Stelter

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

My guess is that your harmonic balancer has gone bad and is chewing into your timing chain case. Had to replace mine last time I heard tree frogs under the hood.

Steve

Keith Stelter wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Steve did pass the time by typing:

A failing HB will cause the belt to squeal and wear, among other things. The test to see if it's still ok is to look at the rubber and do the pencil test as outlined on my page. Just be careful working under a running engine.

The HB will do this but so will a bad main bearing. Although that noise is more of a grinding under load while accelerating.

To test the main bearing you have the engine off and gently (as not to dent the oil pan) pry the hb forward and back. It shold not move by more than a millimeter or less. Mine moved by about 1/4" and the end result was a rebuild.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III did pass the time by typing:

Still could be the rear UV joints, and that's a vaild thing to check.

When my main bearing was going the noise only happend when going up hill in higher gear or when accelerating towing a load.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III