Oil Pump HELP!!!

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Bill, it's not an insert, it is the fuel pump lobe on the cam that has a main oil channel and needs to be in right.

I am not sure if that is what passes the oil up or where it passes it though...

The book does say the pump must be primed.

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Your 225 engine is basically a 3.8L Buick v-6. I had one in a 71 Cj5. Excellant little power-house. My advise is to replace the timing cover and oil pump as an assembly-the aluminum in the housing wears and it may not be visble to the untrained eye. Prime the oil pump-either go with the rebuild kit or my sugesstion of a timing cover assembly, but pack the gears heavily with petroleum jelly (Vaseline). Oil enters the rocker shaft assembly in the support stand for the rocker shaft, not through a bolt, but rather around it. If you have the valve covers off, you should remove the shaft assemblies and get them hot-tanked. Oh yea, you did do a manual oil pressure test before all this work? The Buick

3.8L engine was produced from the 225 casting dies...the weakest link in all the Buick 3.8L engines was the oiling system ( i'm speaking of the odd-fire early production Buick v-6's).

ps: if you can find one, the early to mid seventies odd-fire Buick 3.8L engines had a Delco HEI ignition setup that will work on your 225. greg

Reply to
gbray

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

The part I was talking about is this puppy:

(anyone can view this shot)

I have no idea where the oil channel on the gas pump lobe actually goes, just that it has to be at the front of the engine, not turned into the engine.

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Dragging an old thread forward. You never know when someone might need a quick fix -- after putting the engine back in and bolting everything down.

The site appears to be a trouble-shooting guide for oil-change shops.

  1. Oil Pump Prime

[begin]---------------------- If the above procedure fails, it may be necessary to remove the filter and use an oil squirt can, with clean motor oil, to squirt oil into the oil filter's mounting base inlet hole, which is adjacent to the threaded mounting stud. This will prime the pump.

Next, fill the filter with oil, reinstall and tighten. Oil pressure should return to normal within ten seconds after starting the engine. [end]------------------------

Reply to
Lee Ayrton