A/C intermitent

'01 corolla

sometimes when I push the A/C button on, the ac doesn't work. The secondary fan in front of radiator works, the revs increase a little, everything works as it should work, but the compressor doesn't kick in. It only do this sometimes, most often it works, but lately the incidence of "no work" is getting higher. When it works, it is very efficient, actually, I've never seen a better system on a car. I suspect some relay, but I am not sure if there is more than one A/C relay, because fan kick in, rev increase, etc. Is there a separate relay for the compressor only? There is a fuse box at the engine compartment and only one "AC Relay" on it... Anything else I could look so I could try to fix it myself? I am mechanically inclined, have some knowlegde on home ac systems and have quite a few tools...

thanks for any help

Reply to
diariodastrilhas.dois

Borrow a gauge set and check the system pressure when it's not running and when it is. There are safety cutouts that will disable the thing, usually on both the high and low sides. If the system pressures are good, wait until it won't work and then check all the safety switches with an ohmmeter until you find the one that isn't closing.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

If you take the clutch cycling switch which is usually near the drier and jump the plug using a paper clip and the compressor comes on your probably a little low on freon, or the switch could be bad.

Reply to
m6onz5a

I'm not sure if it is really low on refrigerant, because even when temps are above 100, I can let the outside air (recirculation knob) in and car gets nice and cool. My friends joke that I could put a image of virgin mary of the ice on the car... lol.

I suspect some relay or switch, but I had no idea if such thing existed or where it is. This morning, I started car and turned A/C on. Revs increased, fan kicked in, etc. 20 seconds later I heard a click (from the AC relay in engine compartment, I suppose) and the compressor started. Maybe that switch you mention near the drier is ready to be replaced? If not that switch, would there be any other switch that would control the compressor? Scott says about cutout switches, where they are tipically? i.e., aside this near the drier, where the other(s) probably is (are)?

thanks a lot!

Reply to
diariodastrilhas.dois

their might be another switch on the back of the compressor as well.

Reply to
m6onz5a