one brake light

Hey, I have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler and the passenger side brake does not work.I have changed the bulb and checked the connection,but nothing.The directional works as well. Any Ideas would be helpfull.

Doug

Reply to
Douglas Inman

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I think I have heard the emergency flasher switch can get sticky and cause strange things like that. Maybe try cycling the emergency flashers to see what happens.

Mike

Douglas >

Reply to
Mike Romain

check for short/bad connection in steering wheel turn signal donut assembly. sometimes the turn signal plastic assembly does not return to the "neutral" position after the turn signal cancels itself after a turn. . i have seen quite a few of these with this problem. battery disconnect/airbag disable is a MUST. steering wheel removal required.

Reply to
Markhousen

Try wiggling the turn signal stalk to see if it comes on. Of course, you have to have your foot on the brake pedal, wo you will need a friend to watch, or you have to back up near a window and watch the reflection in the glass.

The circuit from the brake pedal goes through the turn signal switch, the brake light effectivley turns off when the turn signal is on. The switch can be dirty inside, or worn or otherwise defective, and cause the brake light to be off all of the time, yet the turn signal can still work. Basically, the brake light doesn't know the brake pedal is depressed when the turn signal is on. Your test is to set the other turn signal on and see if the brake light works, or hold the brakes on, and wiggle the turn signal to see if the errant brake light comes on.

I know this is can happen because I am having the same problem on my CJ right now. The left side brake light does not work, but the left turn signal does, and I can wiggle the turn signal stalk and get the left brake light to come on again.

Reply to
CRWLR