Imogene Pass - Still Falling Apart?

We drove over Imogene Pass between Telluride and Ouray Colorado in the

70's. As you leave Telluride, and before you get to Tomboy, there is a portion of the road that travels over an opening that is built-up with layers of timbers and dirt. The bottom half had already crumbled away and fallen into space. Did that ever get repaired? It's been 30 years and it still gives us the creeps when we think about it.
Reply to
Dick

twaldron

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Which way did you take it? You don't see it if you come from the Ouray side.

Dick

Reply to
Dick

I did it a year ago, and noticed all the suports. between the "tunnel" and Tommy boy

83 CJ 8, a work in progress
out the "XXX" to e-mail me
Reply to
Evan

Reply to
twaldron

We drove it last week, the area you describe has been repaired and is rather substantnial. the rest of the road is in pretty bad shape IMHO. We took a full sized, crew cab, F250 4X4 over it. I'd much rather take my Jeep, '91 YJ, but it was not an option this time.

Reply to
James Gemmill
5 freeway? LOL

Reply to
William Oliveri

Reply to
Dick

Imogene's probably my favorite all around trail in that area. Somewhat challenging, it has everything, switchbacks, alpine pass, rocks, mud, and spectacular views all the way. Beware of rental Jeeps driven by rookies, however. Have had to coax a few over who didn't know what they were getting into and appeared to be about to hyperventilate. Compared to Black Bear it's a snap, however, and the old road bed between Telluride and Tonboy is in good shape generally.

Reply to
Jerry McG

Reply to
twaldron