opinions?

I like the design. Bit on the $$ side though.

Reply to
DougW

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

How expensive are these things?

Merrill

DougW wrote:

Reply to
merrill

I like the idea, but the website is cumbersome. They don't understand that we want to see PRICES. We don't to downlod a catalong. I dont want to select 'Jeep' and have to scroll through 10000 listings to find my model. I want to select "2000" then "Jeep" then "Cherokee" then "4.0". Then I want to see how many options with thier prices, click to 'add to basket' and click once more to head to checkout. I do not not want to download a brochure. If it's new, unproven, AND inconvienent, they are going to fail.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

I found Jeggs carries them and for my ZJ about $140

I dunno. At that price it would take a while to pay for itself.

But then again I've had this ZJ since 93.

Reply to
DougW

I wonder just 'why' this antique design was dropped in the first place?

They used to make oil filters like this back in my Dad's day. I'll bet they are just plain too freaking messy to have to deal with. You know, spin on a filter or take an hour cleaning the old one in a bucket of solvent, hmm....

Mike

Mike Romain

We would park over a ditch on a quiet dirt road and crawl under the car to change the oil. When you drained the oil the "cup" the filter element was in was still filled with oil. You had to keep that from spilling (or not :-). It was usually "warm" so the oil would drain completely. Then you cleaned the cup, removed the "O" ring seal on the engine block being sure to clean where it seated, installed the new "O"ring, and installed the new filter element in the clean cup. Fill it up with oil and pray you got the "O" ring installed properly. I always had extra "O" rings just in case and an extra quart of oil to replace what you lost when you had to install a new "O" ring. I'd drive around the block and then look for leaks. This was in the '60s and as a college student I needed to save all the money I could for important stuff like beer.

P.S. I love spin off filters!

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

Some people like it. They change their oil weekly just for the thrill of dirty hands and bumping their head on the cold concrete. Me, I try to follow the maintenance schedule like it says on Bill's web links.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Thanks Doug

I think I can buy a lot of Kralinators for that kind of money. If they were a vertical mount I wouldn't mind. But too messy for sidewinders like my XJs.

Merrill

DougW wrote:

Reply to
merrill