OT: computer prob/question

had my teenage cousin over over the weekend. (now you know it ain't gonna get good from here) at times he gets on and looks at some non-'G' rated websites. told him not to cuz when the younger cousins get on they, the websites are in the history, not to mention virus probs an who knows what else he's opening me up to. well i think he's done with using my laptop. ya' know how you can go into history and erase what has been typed into the address field, well i've erased the histroy but i am still getting a site that is popping up with the quick fill-in option. (i don't know what it is called but you know how you type in 'ya' and then 'yahoo' fills in itself) i know that if an address is in your favorites and you clear the histroy when you start typing the address will still auto fill-in. i ran spy-bot and ad-ware software and can't get rid of the friggin' thing.

i've searched my favorites to see if somehow the website had added itself into favs but no luck. any ideas on how to get rid of this thing!?!? best i can figure out i'm spared of any bad bugs but i want to clean this out so none of the little ones happen onto there. thanks in advance for any help. y'all have a great day.

jason

Reply to
JC

if you are using internet explorer 6.0 there is an option you can turn off.. go to Tools then Internet Options then click on the Advanced tab in the options popup window Under --browsing category there is a check box about

24 lines down called "use inline AutoComplete"

when this is checked , it tried to auto fill based on your history etc.

Internet Explorer might have asked him if he wanted this turned on when he was playing around.

dave

=== you must first take out MYUGLYSISTER to email me privately ===

Reply to
Dave

What operating system? there's a modified start-up you can use with XP (may work with others but I know it works with Xp... experience ).

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

In Netscape, the switch is in the preferences under navigator and smart browsing. You turn off the internet key word search.

Mike

Dave wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

hey guys thanks for the replies. i'm using internet explorer with xp. and dave i found the inline AutoComplete, i would like to keep it enabled for my benefit. i don't know why when i clear the history the website isn't going away. i logon frequently for work so i'd like to keep the AutoComplete feature enabled. when he was online it was enabled. keep the ideas coming, thanks all.

jason

Reply to
JC

A friend here is just telling me he had the same trouble.

It is something called gator. He says do a search in the registry for gator and see what comes up.

Is your ad aware up to date?

He thinks his ad aware might have tagged it but he had to manually remove it because it just loaded back in.

Mike

JC wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Did you try this: From IE - - - - (under personal information) -

Reply to
D Vonrick

The new MS spyware removal tool removed some junk that ad-aware and spybot completely missed. It's free.

Joe Carroll

2K-TJ

There are some simple truths...And the dogs know what they are." Joseph Duemer

Reply to
Joe Carroll

Go to

and download it.. You sound like you have spyware on your PC.. This will clean it off and it is free.. Hope it helps.. Ben

95 YJ 2.5L
Reply to
Ben

hey all, thanks sooooo much for all the ideas and recommendations. i won't have time to try anything till wed. but i'll let ya' know how things go.

happy jeepin' jason

Reply to
JC

If you want to kill those autocomplete messages in IE...then go to Tools>Options...then do a clear history. This will erase all entries in your address drop-down and you have to retype all things.

Also, if you go in to Windows Explorer and right click on your C drive and CLEAN it....then that will give you the option of erasing things in your temp internet directory. But, be aware that the temp directory it lists isn't the only temp directory. You have a C:/temp a C:/windows/temp and a C:/documents and settings//Local Settings/temp

These are what I clean daily (Not suppose to use my work laptop for personal use! :p)

Reply to
SteveBrady

Unless you have to do something like enabling ActiveX and a few other no-no's, You might try installing Mozilla/ or FireFox. Those require a profile be setup for each user and keep entirely separate histories and preferences. Now that I think about it, IE can do almost the same thing if you set the twirp up as a separate "Guest" account and make him log on with that ID rather than yours. Added advantage is that you can then limit his privileges on the machine (a GOOD thing) to prevent him from showing you how smart he is. I keep a guest account on all the Win boxes just for other users so that I can keep at least some of what I do and what they do isolated.

Reply to
Will Honea

Don't forget to toss your cookies!!!!

Sometimes cookies can have the same effect as your (former) history.... But they don't go when the history does unless you specify.

John

JC wrote:

Reply to
john_r357

I just downloaded the latest adaware SE and the sucker found 83 trackers in my PC that the old version and spyware doctor missed.

Mike

john snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain