OT Ford Explorer

Im looking at a Ford Explorer - they were sold in the UK in 4.0 litre form until around 2000. From a quick search of the net it seems that they might be a total lemon due to a) problems with the rear end b) some plastic in the timing tensioner assembly. As I don't know anyone who has one, can anyone privide me with a balanced opinion ?

Cheers, Dave Milne, Scotland

99 TJ, 91 Grand Wagoneer.
Reply to
Dave Milne

Frank_v7.0

I would stay away from American cars where you live, because of the high prices of spares and the problems finding qualified repair personnel at reasonable rates. Lots of vehicles have plastic in the timing tensioner assembly, especially overhead cam engines. This is to dampen vibrations in the chain. The plastic gizmo wears out over time, and you replace it. You should be able to tell about actual, existing problems in the rear end from looking at leaks, slack in the drive shaft and bearing or gear noise when driving.

The incidence of problems like this doesn't have to be very high, before Consumer Reports or someone complains about it. The vast majority of a model with problems could be problem free. There are plenty of these vehicles still on the roads in my country.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

My step daughter has the 2000 model, 2Dr. She's had tons of transmission problems, rebuilt at 40,000, just out of warranty, then replaced at 84,000. Multiple emissions problems, eventually needing a new ECC. Electrical problems with the 4WD engagement, and with the power seat.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Do a Google search for '5R55E'. That's the transmission model number. That alone will be enough to make you forget ever buying an Explorer. It's a shame, because they are very comfortable, nice driving trucks with decent power. STAY AWAY!

Carl

Reply to
Carl

I bought a 2 door sport, special ordered it in 94 - std transmission As a whole it was ok, except two things. The transmission was problematical and the clutch was weird. The brakes were really bad. After driving any distance if you applied them sharply they would yank you off of the road and the anti-lock was a nightmare on anything but a freshly paved surface.

Other than that, it was a good rig. A Cherokee would have been a MUCH better choice.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

A Cherokee is like a Sam Adams. Always a good choice.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Guess I will pass on that then ! Thanks for all of your help. I didn't consider a Jeep as I didn't want a D35 rear end or an aluminium D44. Seems a shame, but I guess it will end up by being a Japanese truck.

Reply to
Dave Milne

You can get a cherokee with an 8 and 1/4" rear or a cast D44. All XJ's after

2000 have the cast 8 and 1/4", and some with the towing package before then have the 8 and 1/4. The D44 was a special order in the XJ.

An XJ w/o a D35 CAN be found. I have one.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Thanks for that - will investigate !

Cheers, Dave Milne, Scotland '91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Reply to
Dave Milne

They still also put D35s in after 2000. My 2001 came with one. You have to hunt and peck for one, but they're there.

tw

Dave Milne wrote:

Reply to
twaldron

I have a strong suspicion that all the ones over here are D35s. Its like the Wrangler - you can't buy one that *doesn't* have a D44.

Dave Milne, Scotland

Reply to
Dave Milne

Nice problem to have! ;)

tw

Dave Milne wrote:

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

remember they still cost us more than you pay.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Milne

Volvo has a deal where Americans can go to Europe, buy a new car, drive it around a while and then have it shipped to the U.S. as a used vehicle. This is supposed to save a lot on new vehicle state sales tax and import duties in the U.S. I don't know if any American manufacturer has a similar deal, or if our cars even meet your various emissions and safety standards. I did see a Ford Excursion on the streets of Vitoria, ES, but it could have been owned by a diplomat.

A Ford Explorer is a run of the mill, ordinary, everyday vehicle around here. I imagine that in Europe it would be somewhat special. There did seem to be an awful lot of Jeeps though, many of them Grand Cherokees or Cherokees.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Yes, lots of Grand Cherokees and Cherokees which don't hold their value at all well. Wranglers on the other hand are rare and do hold their value well. UK trucks are mainly Land Rover Defenders (used by utility people and farmers), Discos, Toyota Land Cruisers, Nissan Patrols for the school run. And a few Isuzu Troopers - my Dad has one and it is a nice solid truck I think.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Milne

It's kind of the same over here. The Wranglers do seem to hold their value pretty well in comparison...Cherokees and GCs, not so well. You should see what the insane prices are on the Defender 90s that we got here between 1994-1997. These are STILL going for over $30-40k used with lots of miles, about what they stickered for and more. Once they announced there would be no 1998s, the remaining 1997s instantly went for $10k over sticker, as did the used ones. Crazy.

tw

Dave Milne wrote:

Reply to
twaldron

We should clearly trade Defenders for Dodge Rams then and both make a crazy profit.

Dave Milne