OT-IE question

Hi Bill, I think you have mis-interpreted it.

66.102.7.99 is Google. 216.39.57.104 is Altavista. The 127 stuff is local.

I don't see any connections being made when I fire up Firefox, although I have the full release version, not the preview.

Dave Milne

Perhaps you mean ActiveX plugin.

Reply to
Endo

Umm, what!? What do you mean?

Exactly. If your browser can display the page, that means the source was sent through the network to your computer. They can't prevent you from having the source without preventing you from viewing their page.

I suppose maybe IE allows some javascript to hide the menu option from you, but that's only a minor inconvenience. I don't know about IE -- I don't touch the thing -- but in Firefox Ctrl-U is the shortcut to "view source". Firefox also has a neat feature where you can highlight part of the page, right-click and select "view selection source". Then it shows you the source for the portion you selected and you don't need to read through pages of HTML to find the part you are interested in.

-D

PS. Notepad is one of the worst editors ever. There are a lot of better tools out there for creating web pages. At the very least get some syntax highlighting and auto-indenting! :-)

Reply to
Derrick Hudson

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Haha. Funny :

How ridiculous. There is absolutely no purpose to that code. I'm no javascript guru (and neither is the author based on the lack of '&&' where appropriate), but this code is quite trivial to understand. It is also quite trivial to circumvent: #1) In IE, use the "View" menu in the menubar. Select "View Source". #2) Don't use IE. That code has no effect for me in FireFox #3) Disable javascript in your browser. #4) Use a different program, such as 'wget' to copy the site to your local disk. Then use whatever you want to view the files. #5) Do #4 manually. Try it at home! ;-) a) In the Start menu, click "Run". b) type "telnet" as the name of the program, click "run" c) at the 'telnet>' prompt, type the following command and press enter: open

80 d) type the following exactly as shown and then press enter twice: GET / HTTP/1.0 e) watch the source scroll past your eyes f) now render the HTML in your head, like the operators in The Matrix ;-)

So I admit it, I am a software guy with an interest in mechanics :-).

I don't argue with that,

but I pity your needless pain and suffering!

HAND,

-D

Reply to
Derrick Hudson