OT - Landrover Discovery 2 4 litre v8 juddering

Hi guys,

Thought I'd run this by you, as you are smarter than the average bears.

Filled up with a couple of premium unleaded, which it was running happily on when I bought it. Within 2 days, it would run fine up to 40 mph, then start intermittent juddering. Idling was ok. With the tank now 1/4 full, filled it up completely with super unleaded which it normally runs on (and which the handbook recommends). Despite this, juddering continued.

40 mph is when the torque converter locks up in 4th. However, ran around the block in low ratio which locks up the torque converter, and no judder.

After 2 weeks, problem has now gone away completely. I've also gone all of that petrol in that time - it fixed itself in the final 4 gallons of fuel (25 US gallon tank).

No OBD2 fault codes in either gearbox or engine, check engine light remained off.

Any thoughts ? I thought it was the torque converter, but that doesn't explain why it fixed itself. Perhaps some very slight fuel contamination ?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Milne

I think the probelm is written on the front. 'Land Rover'. The British just can't make a reliable car.. ;-)

Just kidding :-D

Sounds like maybe some water in the gas?

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

Oi, I represent that remark ! We create cars that breakdown very reliably. This one has a genu-whine all-american v8 in it, out of a 1961 Buick Skylark. Since we got it in 1961 it has been vastly improved from its 3.5 litre 185hp to its current 188hp. Clearly this Bosch Motronic engine management system,

4 coils and over 40 years of continuous development have resulted in a very worthwhile 3 hp. So, I don't want to hear Mike banging on about how great carburettors any more ! Oh, and boring it out by another 500cc helped a bit as well (actually it was only 400cc but calling a 3.9 a 4.0 makes it sound more exciting. Especially when it's the same 3.9 just with a different intake).

I'm thinking water in the gas as well, although that is very unusual here. The ECU should have logged misfires for that though - strange.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Milne

gremlins

Sticky injector or clogged fuel filter can cause something like that.

Reply to
DougW

Many US states are running ethanol in fuel now, so you would have to have a LOT of water in the fuel before it would separate. I don't know what you guys have in your fuel, Glenlivet? I would pull the filter and blow it backwards into a clean can to see whats in it. I drove an early Series 2 around today with the top off, fun truck.

Reply to
Stupendous Man