[OT] milage tax. :/

Just heard this unbelievable load of horsepucky on the TV. Places like the PRK (Peoples Republic of Kalifornia) are mulling a tax-by-the-mile rather than tax on the gallon of fuel. Why? Because folks are buying econo boxes to save money and lower pollution so the state isn't getting their fair share of the loot.

They also mentioned increased mile taxes for peak rush hours. Just what every worker that's trying to make it in a tough economy needs.

Now isn't that a kick in the butt. What they won't do to get more taxes out of people.

They do that I'm going back to my bicycle. :)

(yea, they will probably find a way to tax that too)

And when they do I'm moving to Mexico.

Reply to
DougW

Edinburgh is having a vote on a "congestion charge" with an extra £2 to enter the inner zone (city centre) per day. Unfortuantely, they also want to have an outer zone ...which goes round the whole damn city practically. So if you live in between the zones (as most people do), you can drive OUT of city (i.e in the opposite direction to the congestion in the inner zone) ..... only to get taxed for RETURNING HOME between 7am and 10 am. Except that if you live outside the Outer Zone (but still within the city limits), you get an exemption from BOTH zones. Crazy. Hopefully the motorists will out vote the senior citizens and the greenies, both who will vote for any tax as long as someone else pays it.

Dave Milne

Well, that is just politics of the left, the left coast that is. People will eventually get sick of the BS and stop such nonsense. Untill they do my advise would to be to thoes lemmings would be to move.

HarryS

Reply to
HarryS

Hmm, you are an optimist Harry !

Reply to
Dave Milne

Better to be an optimist than a pessimist, as an optimist there is always hope as a pessimist your are always doomed for failure. HarryS

Reply to
HarryS

very true.

Reply to
Dave Milne

never happen.

old john

Reply to
<ajeeperman

Reply to
popeyeball

Whether it happens or nor remains to be seen, but it seems like the idea will probably spread like wildfire. I heard Oregon was entertaining the thought.

Reply to
Retiredff

Do you have any references to this? As a NYS resident I am quite interested to know more.

In fourth grade I learned some of the history of the Town of Greece. One of the main roads through the town, W. Ridge Road, used to be an Indian path and was supposedly formed when the glaciers stopped moving south right after carving out the Great Lakes. At one time there were some toll booths along the road. Instead of paying the tolls, the local farmers allowed the other farmers to travel through their fields, around the toll booth. That is how Stone Road and some other road (I don't remember the name now) were formed and why they have the odd direction they have.

-D

Reply to
Derrick Hudson

This is actually an old story, at least three months and maybe more.

I could be wrong, but I don't think it will happen. The State was driving the consumers and the industry towards more fuel efficient cars and trucks, it is a bit disengenous to come along now and cry about lost revenues because their plans worked out well.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Jeff Strickland wrote: The State was

I wouldn't be so sure about that. During a recently ended drought in the eastern US, a water authority down the road from me kept instituting stricter water-saving measures, then complained about their revenue falling, and proceeded to raise the price of water.

Reply to
Retiredff

Reply to
Tomes

Dave Milne proclaimed:

Shitty of San Freakcisco is contemplating a similar "toll". Think they are missing an opportunity myself...as the area of town where they want to charge tolls is in the big cross streets South Of Market. In that area, they should charge a thrill fee, as you are taking your life in your hands by believing the other drivers will stop if their light is red.

Reply to
Lon

Just leave Kalifornia.

Eric

99 TJ SE
Reply to
Eric

Here's one:

  1. The Daily Star - Online Edition

A Google search on _"new york"_highways_privatize_ yields quite a few other hits. Adding _Attica_ might yield an interesting history lesson about such legislative wisdom.

-- "I defer to your plainly more vivid memories of topless women with whips....r" R. H. Draney recalls AFU in the Good Old Days.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton