oxygen sensor on 96 grand

first problem on the new(er) jeep in two months, and its kinda my fault. there were idiots who let idiots work on this jeep before i bought it. performance exhaust set up installed, but they installed the O2 sensor pointing DOWN from the pipe, so that it was lower than anything else on the unercarriage. go figure. anyway, i hit some tree limbs and pulled the wires out from the connectors. decided (too late) to have the O2 hole welded over, and re-tapped in a better posistion. problem is this...i dont know which wire on the new o2 sensor goes where. it was a universal setup, the only other one in stock had the wrong plastic connector on it. when the tree limb hit this, it pulled the wires straight out of the old connector, so no help there. the two i am needing info on are both black, one has a red tracer, one has a teal (almost white) tracer on it. one will be a ground wire, and one will be the sensor wire. the two heater wires are accounted for. my check engine light is on, so i need to reset it first, but, if i happen to hook these two wires up backwards, will it burn up the o2 unit? and.. is tehre a net page with instructions on using the reset for the check engine light, and the codes for it, for a 96 grand? im off to try and find a manual now, probably hanes, but not sure how much info they will have for me on this subject. thanks for the help Tim in colorado

Reply to
aliasme

Probably not the O2 unit, but it might hurt the computer.

This is for the 93, but should be the same for your year.

shield/stripe signal Black/Orange sensor output Black/LightBlue Sensor Reference ground (NOT CHASSIS GROUND) Orange/DarkBlue to fuel pump relay (provides 12V for heated O2 sensor) Black/Tan PCM ground

CE light will only stay on if there is a serious problem. O2 sensor missing is a serious problem. Fix it and the lamp should reset on its own.

Reply to
DougW

should have specified..my sensor has 4 wires. two for heater, one ground, and one signal. Tim in colorado

Reply to
aliasme

man im an idiot. looked at this and saw five wires, not a desciption and four wires. thanks for the info. ill let you know if this works for me. Tim in colorado

Reply to
aliasme

Reply to
mic canic

man im an idiot. looked at this and saw five wires, not a desciption and four wires. thanks for the info. ill let you know if this works for me. Tim in colorado > >> This is for the 93, but should be the same for your year. > >> > >> shield/stripe signal > >> Black/Orange sensor output > >> Black/LightBlue Sensor Reference ground (NOT CHASSIS GROUND) > >> Orange/DarkBlue to fuel pump relay (provides 12V for heated O2 sensor) > >> Black/Tan PCM ground > >> > >>

Reply to
aliasme

(eep html)

aliasme wrote

Just press Unlock on the keyfob or have someone turn unlock the drivers door with the key. (that disarms the system)

Some models you can put the key in the ON position, but I don't do that it draws more current and can produce a spark.

The manual is hard to find. I just got one from the dealer. Figure the first few repairs and it's paid for. Actually with labor costs these days it's the first hour and it's paid for.

Reply to
DougW