96 Corolla - o2 sensor

My 96 corolla DX 1.8L 4cyl, flunked the emission test (state of ct) with the following reason code: P0141:O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 2

I recently spent $400+ and replaced the exhaust manifold & gaskets(dealer parts) at a local Meineke. They never mentioned about a broken o2 sensor. I called the dealer and found out that these o2 sensors go for $160. The shady local emission place guy didnt mention about how much he would charge to get this fixed. Can I use a after mkt item? I have 30 days to reappear for a retest. Is this something which I can fix or do I need to pay a visit to the shop? Any suggestions?

~~N

Reply to
shettync

Sensor 2 is the one located after the catalytic converter so it is unlikely that anyone touched it when replacing the exhaust manifold.

If would check the O2 sensor heater circuit with a volt meter to see if you have an open circuit before replacing it.

O2 sensors are pretty easy to replace - unplug it, remove it, and reverse the process.

You can use an aftermarket O2 sensor, although be aware that some do not have a plug that matches the factory harness plug so you have to snip the plug off of the old sensor, solder the new wires, and apply some heat shrink tubing to use it. Look for an aftermarket sensor with a plug that matches the factory harness or use OEM.

Reply to
Ray O

Ray, Jeff -

Thanks very much for your inputs. I am a zero when it comes to car internals ...so plz bear with my dumb questions :)

Ray when you said "would check the O2 sensor heater circuit with a volt meter to see if you have an open circuit before replacing it". Is this more like an visual inspection?

Even if I were to get this sensor ...can I install this at home? is it as simple and opening the hood and poppin it in ..i dont have a ramp.

Jeff, where did you get the Bosch sensors from ...are these specifially made for corollas? Is this something which I can find at the local autozone or pepboys.

Also the dealer mentioned that the corolla (96 make) has 2 sensors ..front and back. "Bank 1 Sensor 2" means the front one?

Cheers

Cheers, Naresh

Reply to
shettync