P0320 code

I just hooked a code reader to my 98 TJ to see how things are doing. NY state inspection is coming up and they plug you into the emmisions computer, so I do a pre-check. I found a code P0320. I have not had any stalling issues and no check engine light. So the question is, does throwing a code once condemn the crank sensor? No wire damage in the vicinity, everything is secure. It is a manual trany and I have about 90k miles on it. Thinking back, it did run rough for a few seconds a couple weeks back. I thought nothing of it, the jeep had been sitting for a few days. Last year, I had one instance of it not easily starting after a short trip. Again, the jeep had been sitting for a few days. I drove

Reply to
Tim

The connections on the CPS are so bad they even recommend cutting it right out and soldering the connection for one or two of the years.

It can benefit from a clean with a spray electronic contact cleaner and then a skim of dielectric grease on the plug's seal skirts.

These connections don't even look bad, but they are low power computer signals that need perfection to pass the signal. The slightest electrical crackle is read as a pulse or signal.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > I just hooked a code reader to my 98 TJ to see how things are doing. NY
Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks Mike, that sounds like a plan. I just took it apart sprayed it with electronic cleaner and lightly greased the seal. I worked in manufacturing for years and rarely saw a bad Hall effect sensor, it was always a wiring or adjustment problem. So I'm inclined to be happy with the cleaning and see how it goes. I also cleaned the connector for the cam sensor at the distributor. That one was coated in grime from sitting under the valve cover. Thank you.

Reply to
Tim