Axle questions

Are the Dana 30 and Corp 8.25 axles good enough to handle 32-33" tires? Am I going to have to change out the rear end once I'm ready to install a locker? (Not seeing much listed for the Corp 8.25) If *you* could only afford to lock up one axle, would you do the front or the rear?

And to add a XFR case question, I understand that a SYE prevents loss of fluids in case of rear shaft loss, but don't I only need a CV joint (Dbl cardigan??) drive shaft? And why don't I read about needing special FRONT shafts after a moderate lift??

TIA

95 XJ Sport 4.0L Auto 4WD 4.5" lift...
Reply to
dogmeat

The stock axles are fine with 30-31s, and ok for moderate use with 32 or

33, but the stock ratios are a little low at 3.55. I am running an Auburn Superbrut in my corporate axle and it works well enough to chirp tires in tight turns in the parking lot. Locking the front axle is seldom used as it will make steering difficult. As to your xfer question, the later XJs ( mine is '00) had an external slip yoke where the rear of the transfer case was sealed. They can be recognized by the rubber expansion boot on the case output. A simple hack and tap works on these. jeff
Reply to
jeff

They call lockers 'low side finders' so if you plan on driving on the roads in the winter, you really don't want a full time one.

Even limited slip rear end cause issues in the snow. If you watch folks climb hills, the ones crab walking sideways up the hill are the ones with a Limited slip rear diff. Roads are cambered with a hump in the middle for water drainage.

Same deal off road in the winter, if you get on an off camber trail, you better hope it is wide enough for your Cherokee to fit sideways on it or get used to eating ditches. It also gets old quick having to drag the locked fool out of the ditch all the time....

If I go for a locker, I want one I can disconnect when I don't need it because my CJ7 is my daily driver as well as my trail rig.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Are the Dana 30 and Corp 8.25 axles good enough to handle 32-33" > tires?
Reply to
Mike Romain

Yes

No

Rear

Usually people get a CV drive shaft when they get the SYE but it is not strictly necessary. The SYE is what prevents fluid loss.

The stock front shaft is longer so is less affected by the lift.

Reply to
nrs