PB BLaster Warning!

So I went to log on to the internet this morning and had no connection.

So I hollered at my kid upstairs to check the hub out, he usually knocks something loose when this happens.

A couple minutes later I hear an 'oh shit'.....

Well, he had found a can of PB Blaster someone brought me up from the USA that I had stashed for those tough bolts and decided to use it like WD40 as a contact cleaner in the LAN hub.

The stuff dissolved all the LAN cable plugs!!!! He pulled and all that came out was the wires and pins, the plugs had melted away!

So be warned, the stuff is a good penetrant, but is 'really' bad for electrical plugs.

Mike

Mike Romain

It's fun to squirt it in a styrofoam cup... :-)

Reply to
Shaggie

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

WD40 will eat through styrofoam!

Tried using those old styrofoam coolers as a cleaner bath to soak some parts in. Lo and behold I ended up mopping all the guck up after it ate through the cooler bottom!

Reply to
SB

Mike Romain did pass the time by typing:

Yep.

That's why they make "contact cleaner". :)

PB is for use only on ferrous metal.

Reply to
DougW

WD-40 is technically classified as a solvent, not a lubricant, so WD-40 eating through styrofoam doesn't surprise me. :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

WD means Water Displacement. It is not a lubricant (except incidentally) and will evaporate quickly then leave a sticky residue.

-John

Reply to
Generic

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

If your Ethernet cables are that corroded don't even use WD40! Replace them!

Reply to
JimG