how to get to rear Legacy SW lock

I have a 1998 Legacy station wagon and the hatchback rear lock won't unlock. I am quite sure it needs lubrication inside ...is it easy to remove the area where this lock is? I think I can do it from the inside of the Subaru. I had trouble with it off and on the past year, but the weather got real cold it won't unlock at all now. Usually a few turns of the key work, but not now.

Reply to
snow

They get pretty gummed up. You MAY be able to free the lock without removing it by getting something like PB Blaster or, what I prefer, rust penetrant and lubricant from a GM dealer (Hey, GM had to make SOMETHING correctly, right?! ;)

I used the GM stuff, but my lock was accessible so I just removed it. You can try placing the little hose that comes with the can into the lock and spray a little bit, and then repeat for a couple days. After 2-3 days try turning the key gently and see if it starts to turn, then spray a little more and try again later.

If this doesn't work you'll have to remove the lower panel from the interior of the liftgate and remove the lock. I'd suggest getting a trim removal tool, since even WITH the tool the plugs holding the panel on can snap.

Good luck...

Reply to
Hachiroku

On my 1999 OB, I used to have this problem every six months or so. Apparently you can turn the key in your lock, so the lock itself is not frozen (as mine was recently -- but see below). Can you open the hatch by its handle? (Does the Legacy have a handle? ) or by the remote door opener (do you have one?) If not, then it is clear that what needs lubrication is the linkage between lock or handle and the latch itself.

So, yes, you rip out the rear lining from the inside and spray lubricant on the joints in the linkage. Save yourself the annoyance of having to do this often by using a teflon-based lubricant. When I used WD-40, it had a six-month lifetime. With teflon, the last round of this problem was a year ago and I'm still counting.

If I read you wrong and your key won't turn, you can try Plan B: I couldn't even get the key into the lock. So I took out the lock and saw that there was rust among the tumblers. I sprayed the tumblers with penetrating oil, put the lock into a bench vise, and used a small hammer to gently tap the key into the lock without bending the key. After it went in, I worked the key back and forth until it turned OK. Problem solved.

Uncle Ben

Reply to
Uncle Ben