Perfomance/Gas Mileage Tips for TJ

hi all, I have an 04 TJ 5 speed and am getting 10mpg highway. Any tips for improving fuel economy?

thx

Reply to
TJ Owner

twaldron

I have 3500 miles on mine and getting 17-19 mpg with the 6 cylinder and manual transmission. It started off around 15 mpg and has worked its way up.

Reply to
Rick Ankrum

funny...trade my 04' rubi for a prius...i'll keep that in mind. I have done no mods, the rubi has < 4k miles, others in the group seem to think that is the reason for the poor mileage...hopefully it will improve before gas hit's

3.00 a gallon. thx

Reply to
TJ Owner

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I was getting about 19mpg for the first several thousand miles & then it went down to 14 - 16 all of a sudden. Several factors were involved in difference. 1) There is something (I believe a Mg rod) in the computer that slowly disintegrates - when it is gone the computer switches from "green to "old" settings. 2) engine breaks in 3)hardest one to figure out - was not realizing that I was "babying" my new vehicle until newness mentally wore off........after I figured that out, I noticed if I keep it below 2300rpm I can still get 18 - 19mpg. If I don't, I get around 16mpg.

Reply to
Carlo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

When my YJ was stock it got 16mpg, it now has Dynatrac axles, 4.88's & 35s, and gets 16mpg.

Reply to
Jerry McG

Reply to
twaldron

I have an '03 Sahara(I6, 3.73 D44, 30" GS-A's). I did see higher mileage when it was new, but mostly I think it was because I did baby it a little and shift when the idiot light told me to. After it was broken in and I started to ignore the little upshift arrow the mileage settled down to 15-16mpg depending on how many highways I saw with a given tank of gas.

My normal driving can't be described as 'highway'. In fact many days I drive only the 10 miles to work and the 10 miles back home of which 3 miles is 65+ mph and the rest is 24-45 mph. I see a solid 15mpg routinely from that.

I have managed 18mpg on trips to the NJ shore when I'm doing 70+ mpg. That is the best I've ever see. This summer I'm driving to Arizona from New Jersey by way of Colorado via I-70. I hope to see 18+ mpg most of the way.

On the flip side I've abused it as hard as I could to see how bad I could make the mileage. I never managed to get it much below 14mpg while still driving (mostly) legally on the roads. I calculated just under

14mpg on one tank but you never know how full the gas monkeys really made it (NJ has no self-serve) so it could have been anything from 13.8 to 14.1mpg.

So, if you really are see> funny...trade my 04' rubi for a prius...i'll keep that in mind. I have done

Reply to
Tim Hayes

My stock '04 X model now has just over 5000 miles on it. I've been tracking mpg since I bought it at 70 miles. I have consistently gotten 19.5-20 mpg the entire time. Not sure why, it's surprised me being so high, as it's only supposed to get 16/18. It's an automatic, and I drive 21 miles to work down a curvy, mountain road (and drive home 21 miles UP a curvy, mountain road). I don't do anything special, and in fact have to turn overdrive off when heading up the mountain so the trans doesn't hunt - which theoretically should decrease my mpg - and I STILL get consistently around 20.

We'll see what happens as the engine breaks in...

TJ Girl

Reply to
TJ Girl

In news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, TJ Girl from was injured because:

Check your math.

Reply to
Joseph P

There's an idea. The body on my Jeepster is pretty messed up. A new plastic body would look,,,,uh, nevermind.

Reply to
Paul Calman

Unless you also changed your speedo gear out when you regeared, you're actually getting a bit less than that...

I WAS getting 12MPG with my 33s and my old 3.55:1 diff gears. Now I'm getting 17+ MPG with my 33s and new 4.56 diff gears... So I guess I'm actually getting somewhere around 15MPG in reality. :)

Yes I know it's easy to change the speedo gear. I'm just lazy and am not really bothered with doing an approximate conversion in my head. Not to mention it keeps me from getting speeding tickets because I now think I'm going faster than I actually am ;-)

Reply to
Bob

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)