Pinion Seals

Just out of curiosity , is it unusual for both back pinion seals to start leaking at the same time? 2000TJ at 76k. Joe Carroll

2K-TJ

There are some simple truths...And the dogs know what they are." Joseph Duemer

Reply to
Joe Carroll

Both?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

That normally comes along with some bad u-joints or a bent driveshaft causing vibration and yes, I see it lots.

Mike

Joe Carroll wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Yes 35c. That said I had the output shaft replaced orginally because of vibration problems along with different drive shaft and new u-joints. 12 months into new output shaft noise is back but no noticeable vibration. Thought it was tire noise. checked underneath and noticed both seals leaking bad.

Reply to
Joe Carroll

yes , at the tranny and the rear-axle

Reply to
Joe Carroll

Got it. But there is only one Pinion and it lives in the diff, the tcase seal is not a pinion seal. That's what confused me.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Got it, thought they were both pinion seals. What is tcase seal called?

Reply to
Joe Carroll

A tcase seal...

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
rmcaskey

I would be wondering about driveline angles then. Did you replace the bearings with the output? Same for pinion bearings. The last bout of vibrations would have damaged the bearings to a point and sloppy bearings will cause a leak again.

Mike

Joe Carroll wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

The tcase seal was replaced but I don't know about pinion seal. That said, this is a stock TJ, has not been raised. It's my daily driver, not a stump jumper. I never could figure out how it got a bent output shaft the first time. Could there be something causing that problem to return? Joe Carroll

2K-TJ

There are some simple truths...And the dogs know what they are." Joseph Duemer

Reply to
Joe Carroll

Sure, the bent shaft and the vibrations killed the output bushing or bearing, same for the pinion bearing. You can keep on putting seals in, but with a worn bearing, the seals will fast start to leak again.

Leaky seals are only symptoms of deeper troubles, something has to make them leak.....

Mike

Mike Romain

That's what I figured but since I've replaced the output shaft I don't know what else could be causing the problem . Could the bearing also cause the noise ? I'm thinking I'll take the spare driveshaft, have it re-balanced with new u-joints, start working the problem backwards.

Joe Carroll

2K-TJ

There are some simple truths...And the dogs know what they are." Joseph Duemer

Reply to
Joe Carroll

Yes a worn pinion bearing will make a pile of noise. When I had mine replaced, my Jeep scared me for a moment it was so quiet.

Mike

Joe Carroll wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks, you may have just restored my sanity... Joe Carroll

2K-TJ

There are some simple truths...And the dogs know what they are." Joseph Duemer

Reply to
Joe Carroll

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III