power steering in a CJ7

Put my 81 CJ7 in the garage the other day to do some work on it, after a couple days I noticed there is a puddle of oil under power steering box, checked the lines, no leaks, deffinately coming from power steering. Question is, are there seals you can change, or rebuild kits? See online the price for a new one is about $350.00 US, that's a big chunk of money, rebuilt engine is only $1100.00. Must be a cheaper way then new one.

Reply to
Greg

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Thanks Bill, it may give me enough to go on to take apart and see what's leaking. Before I do that I'll give everything a good cleaning, may find I cracked the housing itself, I did hit a big rock last week burried in the mud.

Reply to
Greg

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

You can purchase new input shaft and pitman shaft seals. Relatively easy to install but you are going to have to remove the power steering gear. Advance Auto has the input shaft seal kit for 12 dollars, the pitman seal kit for around 20 dollars and a complete rebuilding kit for 33 dollars.

Reply to
Jeff White

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Perfect.

Greg

They are not hard to put in either.

Just a tip, if the pitman seal is ok, leave the sucker alone and just drop the box down to change the input shaft seal. That way you don't need to beat on the pitman which can blow it's seal as well as damage the drag link 'tie rod' end or rubber boot it bolts to.

The adjustment on the 'adjuster plug' is only a seat it and back it off one, no turning torque needed to set it.

Mike

Greg wrote:

Mike Romain

Hey Bill, does that sort of say I could use a power steering pump from a

98 TJ, which I have access to, on my 81 CJ7?

Greg

Only if you want to replace a unit that lasted 24 years with one that 'will' leak right away if it isn't already leaking...

They put a crappy seal in the TJ box. When I helped rebuild the last one, the shop gave us a CJ or YJ adjuster plug and said it will last like the old ones.

Mike

Greg wrote:

Mike Romain

Ok, will give it all a good clean and hopefully just change the seals then.

Greg

Greg, I had the same problem with my 84' CJ7. It had a pretty bad leak. I had to add fluid every time I drove it. I added every stop leak sold and they didn't help a bit. One day I was out of fluid and it was screaming when I turned. I figured since I was going to replace it any way I would just put any lightweight oil in that I had. The only thing I had on the shelf was "one-mix" It was the oil you add to gas for a two stroke engine. It is green in color. Surprise the box hasn't leaked in about a year and a half.. Rebuilding it is the correct answer but I was intimidated by that thought. I was prepared to buy a new quick ratio unit for about $400. I felt I could bolt and rebolt a replacement unit. As I said it hasn't leaked in over a year. My two cents worth ;). I wouldn't recommend this unless you are prepared to replace the unit. It worked for me but, no guarantees!!! Ben

P.s. I love the group! I have been lurking for the past couple of months!

Burke Design Group

There is a seal kit you can get for the steering unit, the kit costs about $40. I have a kit, but the fittings are very tight and I can't get them off, so I have a kit on the shelf, a leak on the floor, and a bottle of power steering fluid stuck in a corner of the inside fender.

Reply to
CRWLR

The most common place for that unit to leak is where the steering column enters.

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I have the kit from Napa.

Steering Gear Seal Kit, 7-181

I don't remember the price, but it was under $40. I have the '81 CJ5, so the power steering parts should be the same.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Are the fittings leaking? If not, why mess with them. Normally the seals can be done with the box hanging there just sitting on a jack or box or something. Same goes if the pitman isn't leaking, why undo it? Just leave it hooked up and replace the input seal.

This away all you have to do is take the box off the frame, nothing else.

Mike

CRWLR wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

No, only the seal where the steering column goes in is leaking. I was thinking it would be easier to work on the steering box if it was removed, but I can't get it off, so it leaks instead.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The front column seal is an easy no brainer to install. Even with the box sitting on a jack. You just loosen a lock nut, unscrew one part, change the seal and screw it back tight, then back it 1/8" off, tighten lock nut and done.

Mike

Jeff Strickland wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain