Pwer Steering Fluid Leak

Hi All... I seem to be leaking Power Steering Fluid. I checked it earlier and the dipstick is not even wet. However, I cannot find the leak.

Should I refill it and try looking for the leak again, or is there a more effective way to determine where the leak is?

Reply to
Cannon (O|||||||O)

L.W.(ßill)

Fill it and watch is all I can think of. A good coat of dried mud or dust will show up a leak faster. ;-)

Mike

"Cann>

Reply to
Mike Romain

There is no place for it to leak and not see it. Fill it up and watch the ground where you park it.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

My power steering unit stops leaking to tell me it is empty.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Jeff Strickland did pass the time by typing:

If it's not immediately barfing all over the place then the leak is usually in the return line or in the seal between the reservoir and the pump. (an O ring) The lines get old and sometimes crack. Beware of the ps reservoir, I've broken the stupid return nipple more than once. But since it's low pressure (just a return) you can drill and put in a new brass fitting.

Reply to
DougW

Well, leaks around the steering box are a bit hard to localize, especially if you have a skid plate under there to collect the drippings. And a leak in the hose gets basically nothing on the hose

- every > There is no place for it to leak and not see it. Fill it up and watch the

Reply to
Will Honea

The original poster has an '85 CJ7, the power steering fluid will leak directly onto the ground. There is no skid plate there, unless is is some custom fabrication job that somebody put together.

The single most common place for the power steering to leak in a CJ is the seals where the steering column enters the steering box. Other leaks can form, the the steering column is the most common, and where my steering fluid leaks from.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

DougW did pass the time by typing:

OH.. I do need to add one very important thing.

NEVER feel for a PS pump leak with the engine running. A small leak can create enough pressure to inject the fluid into your skin. That and you can get caught on the belt. The same actually goes for working on any hydraulic system.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Bill, what happened to the pork chops? :)

BTW, where was this picture taken?

Reply to
Peter Parker

To f....ing funny!!!!!!!

Reply to
Cannon (O|||||||O)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Hmmm, I have a World Wide Major Military installations map and I guess Fort Ord, CA is no longer being used?

Reply to
Peter Parker

Mine leaks there too. I go through about a cup every 6 months....

Mike

Jeff Strickland wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Approximately 10/3/03 18:33, Peter Parker uttered for posterity:

Not as a full blown military base. Used to be a huge Army training center, where it was possible to catch pneumonia right in the middle of California. Complete with poison oak, poison oleander, rattlesnakes, tarantulas, and an official Standing Order that there would be an automatic holiday any time the sun ever shined on base central. Pretty sure the NCO club was featured in "Soldier in the Rain".

Lon "A-8-3" Stowell

Reply to
Lon Stowell

"Mike Romain" wrote..

By golly there's the perfect excuse to justify going out for a serious mud run. "I'm testing it to find power steering leaks"

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
wkearney99

Works really well on engines to spot leaks too...

Mike

Mike Romain

Yeah, I remember all those innoculations from when I was in the Navy during boot camp... If the corpmen twitched or didn't like your attitude and intentionally moved it during the shot, it would slice your arm...

Reply to
Grumman-581

Mine definitely leaks where the steering column goes into the steering box. I have bad seals, and flare fittings on the hoses that were put on be a gorilla. I bought a flare wrench, and the fitting is so tight that the wrench opens. I need to take the grill and radiator off to get a better angle on the fittings so I can get the hoses off so I can replace the various seals. The seal kit is only $40, a whole new steering box is $175.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland