Regear front and rear?

I have recently purchased and installed new tires on my 2002 Jeep TJ and was looking into regearing from 3.73 to 4.11 because of the power loss. What are the disadvantages of not regearing both axles and what is the cost of regearing both vs. just the rear? I assume the advantage of not doing the front is cost.

Reply to
Blueshirts

L.W.(ßill)

no man u regear the front to 5 gearing and the rear to like 1.3 gearing, so ur highway milage is really good this way.

Reply to
herman

If you change (regear) the rear axle without changing the front axle, you won't be able to use four wheel drive. At least not without destroying your Jeep. Think about it.

Best regards, Dave Rose Cactus Cowboy Big Wonderful Wyoming '49 Willys Pickup (parts truck) '62 Willys Pickup 4WD 226 '98 XJ Sport O|||||||O

Reply to
cactuscowboy

I don't think that's enough of a ratio change to be worth doing...

The disadvantage to only regearing the rear would be that your transfer case would blow up in about 15 feet... you have to do both... can't have the front and rear wheels turning at different speeds!

Cost will be $1000-$1200. I wouldn't spend that money to go from 3.73 to 4.10. You lost some power just from bigger tires weighing more.

-jeff

Reply to
Handywired

Thanks for the information. I was unsure whether "regearing" meant front and rear. Obviously this was a dumb question though I really didn't understand the ramifications of doing one vs both.

The power loss is bearable though highway driving is not good because of the shift points. Its hard to keep the vehicle going 65-75 mph without constantly shifting down or up. The rpm's constantly seem either too high or too low.

Reply to
Blueshirts

Main Entry: 1troll Pronunciation: 'trOl Function: verb Etymology: Middle English transitive senses

1 : to cause to move round and round : ROLL 2 a : to sing the parts of (as a round or catch) in succession b : to sing loudly c : to celebrate in song 3 a : to fish for by trolling b : to fish by trolling in c : to pull through the water in trolling intransitive senses 1 : to move around : RAMBLE 2 : to fish by trailing a lure or baited hook from a moving boat 3 : to sing or play in a jovial manner 4 : to speak rapidly

- troll·er noun

Reply to
Blueshirts

What size tires did you install?

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

LT265/75R16 (32's) with plans to probably go slightly bigger in a few years down the line when the vehicle is no longer a daily driver.

Reply to
Blueshirts

My advice you have 2 choices, the best is to regear when you get bigger tires than what you have now and live with the lower RPM's until then. Or regear now to 4.56 so you won't have to do it later and live with the higher RPM's. Regearing is not cheap and there is no reason why you need to pay for it twice.

I put 31x10.5's on my TJ with 3.73's, replaced the stock 30x9.5's, and there was a slight difference but not so much where I felt I had to regear. I went with 4:56's when I got 33's so I wouldn't have to regear again when I go to

35's.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I am running 33's with 3.31 gears and I just gave up on 5th gear.

I get better mileage running in 4th rather than lugging it in 5th now anyway and I have no problems with my 19 US mpg.

Mike

Blueshirts wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain