Problem with 4WD instrument panel light

2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - about 66000 miles

When transfer case lever is in 2WD High - 4WD light is ON on the instrument panel

When transfer case lever is in 4WD High - 4WD light is OFF on the instrument panel. Exactly opposite of the way it should be. This happened about 6 months ago, but corrected itself after a couple of days

When transfer case lever is in 4WD LO - 4WD light is ON on the instrument panel - correct

4WD system works correctly, transfer case lever is adjusted correctly, and yes I am sure I am in 2WD high, 4WD high or 4WD lo regardless of what the instrument panel light shows

Would this be a bad switch? If so, where is it and how do I replace it?

Thanks in advance for any help

Mabar

Reply to
Mabar

Forgot to add...

Problem happened months ago and corrected itself after a couple of days. Problem occurring again now.

Reply to
Mabar

From what I have read it's not a switch, more of a variable resistor. Could be a bit of corrosion. I'd clean the connector on the tranfer case sender.

Try here