novice q

OK - I just got my hands on an old legacy and can see why people like Subarus. But, at the risk of being really stupid, what does the extra lever by the handbrake do?

Thanks - to the most tolerant person who replies!

John London

Reply to
john wood

Hi,

Did you find one with the two-spd transfer case? (I'm not sure, but don't think any of the Legacies w/ that feature made it to the States, however our earlier models sometimes had it. In some parts of the world I've heard they're still available, but I may need to be corrected on that!)

If so, it's probably 2wd, 4wd hi, and 4wd lo, but I forget the order on the lever. Someone will know.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Doesnt seem to have such dramatic effect! BUT it is a UK (1994) Legacy estate/wagon. 5 spd manual.

Thanks John

Reply to
john wood

Assuming it's probably the same as the Aus box, in which case it's just a hi-lo arrangement.

Lever full forward is AWD high range - where it stays most of the time.

Lever fully back is AWD low range & gives you about a 20% downgearing - useful for offroad, starting off with trailers (and dragging off surprised other motorists at the cost of hugely accelerated clutch wear ....) there should be a 'LO' light on the dash with it engaged.

In between there's a neutral position - NO drive

BTW - Only change between ranges using the clutch and with a stationary car. Cheers

Reply to
hippo

whoa! whatever you do, DON'T TOUCH THAT LEVER!

:-)

john wood wrote:

Reply to
Beefcake

LOL! Too late, it wiggles up and down freely. No effect on the warp factor tho.

Reply to
john wood

LOL! Too late, it wiggles up and down freely. No effect on the warp factor tho.

Reply to
john wood

I don't know the answer. Go to

and ask the question if you don't get a serious response from this NG.

Reply to
Edward Hayes